Friday, March 22, 2013

Vancouver Touchdown


Seaplanes at the Waterfront
(additional photos in my Flckr gallery)

I went through the tunnel with no rush.  Down the steps leading to immigration were 2 massive totem-like poles. I was so tempted to take a photo but I said I'll just do it when I get back from Seattle.

The immigration officer asked so many questions and requested my full itinerary when he learned I was traveling for a year. Oddly enough though he asked me 3 times, "And you're traveling by yourself?"

After collecting a few brochures from the terminal, I found my way to the train station. It only had 1 sign, Canada Line.
It was a 2-zone ticket to get to Vancouver Central Station via the Waterfront bound train. That was CAD$9.

It was chilly outside. 6C. I'm back in the cold. I was so happy to arrive with the sun shimmering all over Vancouver. The snow capped mountain ranges were gorgeous to stare at. It sort of reminded me of Queenstown. But this was all 3 times larger and grand.

Exiting the train station, I turned right to Georgia St. I was smiling. I loved it.

The hostel was 2 blocks down, located at Richards Street. (I'll cover my reviews and write up in a different section)

Kelly was one of my roomies. Originally from Sydney, Australia, she was there to look for a job….. As a float plane pilot (sea planes). WOW! The discussion about flight kept my eyes open for a while.

They say don't sleep if you're having a jetlag, most especially if you arrive in broad daylight. I struggled. I gave in to slumber.

2 hours of sleep was enough for me to re-energize, though  I still felt dizzy. I was settling in and unpacking when my other roomie arrived. Gowoon, originally from Korea but now living in Kansas and studying BioChemistry. She saw my guitar and asked me to play for her. She's been trying to learn the guitar and violin. Cool!

After a hot shower, I felt I was ready to hit the streets. I unloaded my daypack and set off.

--------

SeaPlane landing at the Waterfront
After walking a few blocks, I regret not taking my gloves with me. I felt like it was less than 6C @ 5pm. Brainfreeze + sniffles...that was me.

I looked around and soaked in the vibe. People were all heading home, a few shops were closed but the cafes and restos were getting busy. It was interesting to see the range of parking fees, from a whole day of $9 to $16, which I found absurd.

The Waterfront was just 2 blocks from my hostel. I walked along Hastings St. and found a few spots at the Vancouver Convention Center  and Canada Place to watch the people,  birds and seaplanes landing. The streets sort of reminded me of Sydney for some reason. I was contemplating of getting sunset shots at Sunset Beach (just across Granville Island), but decided I'd save it for tomorrow. For now, I shouldn't consume too much energy.

I continued on a little bit more for some photos. Then head back to the hostel to chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment