Thursday, March 28, 2013

Open Mic in Vancouver

Despite the headache, I got myself to stand up and pack the guitar and head to W Broadway. I found a place Benny's Bagels Cafe at 2505 W Broadway, over the Granville Street Island Bridge.

If you ever get to Vancouver, here's a list of open mics to check out : Vancouver Open Mic Scene

I listened to a few singer/songwriters of the night. It started off with Joey who was joined by a few of his mates. I really liked his materials, the songs were really catchy. Simple guitar work there but the melodies were definitely the mainstream type that would catch the audience attention.

Later on, Melody performed a few of her originals. She was supported by a bunch of her friends who sang as her backup vocals at the back of the room.

Then Angie, another local singer/songwriter who's into yoga performed her melancholic tunes. I really liked her voice and the guitar work on her last song "The Last Dance" was amazing. I had a chat with her after.

I got on next and introduced myself. I said it was my first time in Vancouver, and was gladly welcomed by the crowd. I performed 3 songs of mine and was happy to see a few people dancing to the upbeat ones.

A guy by the name of Frank who was seated at the back summoned me to approach him. He said so many kind words which I didn't expect. But definitely has given me more inspiration. :)

I didn't stay that long coz I had to catch my bus. But I was happy to have played in the open mic scene of Vancouver. :) Off to the next town then :)


No comments:

Post a Comment