Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Back to Open Mic


Tuesday nights open mic @ One 2 One Cafe along Ponsonby has always been part of my routine years ago.

I decided to visit tonight and perhaps get on the list. Callum was still running the show.

I sat at the corner bar and listened while Callum started the night with a few tunes. The only familiar faces I saw were Reese and Graham, well, those who I personally knew and got introduced to. The others were a few who I've listened to a year ago but never had the chance to mingle with.

Callum called me "Mary". For who knows why, I couldn't figure out where the heck he got the idea my name was Mary. oh well. so I started over again. "I'm Jowe". He listed me down on the list as Mary. that still worked.

I met a guy by the name of Sam. just graduated from high school and lived in onehunga. Cute, looked more European. Young of course and really shy. We had a few chats at the back patio. He tried to jam along with a few of my songs.

I then got on after the bearded guy (playing the harmonica). I started with my Shot of You song then the Does that make me Weak, then played my instrumental piece on the piano. First time ever to play on the piano there. It was an odd feeling, most especially coz I wasn't singing to the tune. The audience were okay and very supportive with their cheers. A girl from Korea approached me and got my name. Got good feedback about my voice.

the night went on with a couple more musicians. The Korean girl was amazing. Voice sounded like Norah Jones and she played the piano skilfully as well as the guitar.

Had to rush off early though. Didn't want to stay up too late. Not so me. But decided I needed energy. Staying up late outside seems to drain me more than staying up late with the computer. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment