Wednesday, March 27, 2013

North Vancouver & Lynn Canyon

 Sunday, 24 March 2013

I woke up to yet another sunny day in Vancouver. My bed gets the sunshine from the window which was good. I was supposed to catch the 9:30 mass at the Holy Rosary Cathedral but took too long in prepping. I forgot to mention earlier that it was comforting to know our hostel was right across to the Cathedral.

I decided to catch the 11 mass instead, and so lingered a while to surf the net and do some research. Gitta woke up around 10 and was surprised to still see me there. We had a short discussion about religion coz she asked about church service.

Palm Sunday

I didn't realize it was Palm Sunday till I entered the cathedral. Palms were available for everyone right at the door. I took 2 and was ushered to a pew to the further left.  The cathedral was full and I noticed a lot of Filipinos around. The structure was decorated with intricate tainted glass windows and the painting on the walls seemed to be freshly painted.

North Vancouver
 
Lonsdale Market
I chose to catch the SeaBus from the Waterfront and cross to the North Shore. The ferry took us across to Lonsdale Quay. I decided to explore the Quay for a while and to my amazement found that there was a market market inside. Just beside the ferry arrival door, turn right and you'll find the area where viewing decks were situated. Apparently that was one of the best spots to catch a glimpse of the Vancouver skyline. I then told myself I'll go back there for night shots.

There were a lot of people around, a big combination of tourists and
families. I then remembered it was a Sunday....... I bought myself lunch and found a quiet corner outside with the view of the city. A policeman and woman were also having their lunch 2 tables away from me. I wanted to have a chat with them but decided it would seem weird, so I let them be.

I walked around the market and found myself the perfect tuque (beanie) that was made of wool outside but had a fleece layer inside. Perfect for me, at least no allergies from the wool :) I had to bargain with the lady, and was able to get $5 off the price :)

I found the bus terminal and waited for bus #229. A storm of people lined up... apparently everyone was headed for Lynn Canyon.

Lynn Canyon

Gitta was raving about the Canyon ever since I met her. And I've also read about this too before I flew to Vancouver. There are actually 2 suspension bridges, Capillano and Lynn. However, Capillano would cost you $31.95.. and Lynn Canyon was free.

Lynn Canyon is also situated in the North Shore and offers a lot of trails you can explore, covered with the towering trees of Western RedCedars, Douglas-fir and Hemlocks. You can notice the abundance of oxygen due to the healthy presence of lichen. The 50-m suspension bridge allows visitors to explore the trails.

I got off the bus and followed the in flux of people. There were a group of teenagers singing on top of their lungs, and some howling like wolves. I rolled my eyes and wished I visited the park on a weekday instead. For some reason I find nature and noise don't really go together. Or maybe it's just me.

I crossed the bridge quickly coz people were standing there taking numerous photos. I decided to go ahead.
Western RedCedar
I got to the Baden Powell trail and followed the track. On the way was the 30-foot pool with clear waters flowing. I wanted to linger for a while but it was just packed with people, lovers, kids and dogs. I moved on.

Up and up the staircase, I found the path leading to the Rice Lake where Gitta mentioned some people would go for fishing. I found an area that gave me photo opportunities off the track. I was surprised when I saw someone though. A guy from somewhere in Europe was quietly standing there with his fishing rod. He was patiently waiting for a bite... apparently you can catch trout there. I had a little bit of a chat then moved on.

Rice Lake
I loved the towering trees and how the sun's rays were shimmering through the leaves. I wanted to only hear footprints. Earlier on I noticed so many people just throwing tissue paper on the ground and some leaving their bottles... it was sad. I felt sorry for mother nature but most of all I felt sorry for those people and what they will pass down to the next generation. :(

Gitta was texting already and was asking when I was heading back. It was a her last night at the hostel and the goal was to finish off the beers and me playing her some tunes. I got back on the track and headed directly to the bus stop.We ended up chatting and doing the laundry instead.

We both stayed up till around 1-ish am. She woke me up around 5:15 am, said goodbye and told me I'm welcome to stay with her when I get to Berlin.

I went back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment