Friday, March 22, 2013

To and In Flight


I was groggy when I woke up. Dad and Mom rang me a few minutes before we left the house. It's a good feeling to hear them give their blessings. That was enough to give me some peace of mind.
I was happy to have the last few hours of bonding with my sisters, while having an early breakfast at the airport. They hugged me goodbye at the gate and waited for me to get through immigration. It's been a while since I've been inside the terminal. Apparently there's been a few changes in the layout. I had to find the new spot where I can see them wave from the top viewing deck. There they were waving. I waved goodbye too.

--

Sunset over the Pacific Enroute LAX
"I'll be your seatmate for the next 14 hours", I smiled and looked at him.  That was the leg  from Melbourne to Los Angeles (LAX).
Jay was born in Melbourne and move d to Seattle 7 years ago. In my years of travels, this was the first time I didn't watch a single movie. The absence of that was compensated by the enriching and intellectual conversations we had.  And this is what I love about travel. The people you meet, the stories you share and the insights you exchange.
He gave me some tips on Seattle and since he was also into photography, mentioned vantage points I can check out for night shots of the Seattle skyline.
After checking out the sunset over the Pacific, we had a sip of whiskey and continue on with our discussions.

--

If there's one thing I've learned, if your itinerary includes a layover in any of the US airports, make sure you've got enough time to get to your next flight. Apparently, you would need to go through immigration and customs regardless if you're on a domestic or international connecting flight. Oh, and they still ask people to take their shoes off.

Alaska Air enroute Vancouver
I think I need to mention that I lost the rainsheet of my Terra. :( And I almost lost my sleeping bag, but good enough it was still hanging on to the bag. It took me a while to claim with Qantas.

My last flight was via Alaska Air, from LAX to Vancouver. My lack of sleep was hitting me and I felt like I need to take iron supplements soon. I dozed off.

At 12:45 pm, 21st of March 2013, the captain welcomed us to Vancouver. I lazily woke up and looked out of the window.  Gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment