Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My special place

Raglan Waves

Raglan was the main stop. 4 days and 3 nights. Always will be my special place in New Zealand.

Wednesday

I decided I wanted to stay in a place beside the water. Solscape was too far away. So I had myself booked at the Raglan Backpackers and Waterfront Lodge.

The surfers were all outside the hostel, waiting for instructions from the guru on how to load the boards.

I found Charlie at the front desk. She gave me my key and started to explain my way around. I told her I've been there several times already.

I got the sunroom. And lucky for me, I was the first in the bedroom. Yes, another mixed dorm for me. There was a double bed and 2 bunkbeds. Charlie gave me the double bed. woot woot!

It was a little bit late but I still found myself cooking my 2-minute noodles. Topped with tuna and a little bit of rocket leaves. The combination was acceptable, besides, I needed energy before I headed out for a swim.

The hostel was located near the "jump-off" bridge. I've called it as such because that's where the locals would jump off into the water, if it was a high-tide. I found myself walking under the bridge and taking off my top. Yeap, it was a nice day for a swim. I went to Te Kopua Beach.

In my silence, staring out to anywhere I'd like to fixate my eyes on, I didn't notice a guy from the bridge staring at me. He coughed, a sign of calling attention.. I looked up. I would think he was in his mid forties. Tried to chitchat and stuff. But I tried to make the conversation short. I knew where he was going with his small chats.

I went back to the hostel and saw 2 backpacks in the room. 2 girls from Germany just arrived in Raglan. Miriam and Jessica have been traveling for a few months now and were staying for 2 nights in Raglan.

The night was a little bit chilly, I started to take out my guitar. Then I heard it was a bonfire night. I wasn't keen. I knew it was another "drinking + smoking + skinny deeping" session for the young ones. I don't know how I got myself talked in to going with them though.

Bonfire + Full moon

I had with me my last bottle of vodka. That was fine. Not anyone was open to share their booze anyway. I didn't have 1 to share.

A guy Peter from Denmark, carried the guitar for me and I carried his tambourine for him. He was some character, happy and always smiling. I liked his aura. Wasn't sure if I could talk to him on serious note though.

When the ipod played to the tune of "recharge batteries", I ended up singing and playing the guitar. It must have been that they had too much to drink that night, coz they clapped to my songs and flicked the lighters as if they were in a concert. It was hilarious.

When the guys and girl started running to the chilly water, I knew it was time to go back to the hostel. The girls said they were going back too. I felt old. Didn't want to be a killjoy. But I knew where it was all heading to. Nope. Didn't want to be a part of that.

Thursday

I woke up early and went straight to the library. I had to book flights soon. to Alaska.

Miriam and Jessica followed and checked their emails too. I stayed longer until my bum hurt from sitting too long outside the library. Now I understood why there were always so many people outside that building. I was one of them.

I went back to the hostel and decided to cook late lunch. Met 2 guys from France, one by the name of Greg and the other one I couldn't remember anymore. I didn't give them any choice when I said I'd join them at their table. They were fine.

Louisa, a 19-year old girl from Germany, was quietly reading her book at the patio. I sat there for a while and stared out to the water. We ended up talking and deciding to go to walking around.

She's been hitch hiking around New Zealand. Hearing her stories made me wonder if I'd ever be brave to do what she's been doing. Obviously she's been really lucky. I guess NZ is still fairly safe for that kind of traveling. I just reminded her it wasn't advisable once she gets to Australia.

We discovered the Fisherman's Wharf at the end of Wallis Street. A fish and chips cafe was located at the corner. I said I'd come back the following day. She shared a lot of her thoughts about travels and the people she's been with. she was the type of person who can chat her way when it was an intimate group. But usually she would be quiet.

We ended up at a cafe in town, with big waffles staring at us. We didn't realize they were so big until I couldn't even finish it all. For her size, it was surprising how she can finish everything , as well as her big milk shake.

After a long chat, we decided to go to Ngarunui Beach. I told her she had to see a Raglan beach for sure. We took a few photos before we headed off to Solscape. I showed her that special place up the hills. The place where I composed  few more songs years ago.

It was just another lazy day for us. We ended up watching 3 movies in a row. all cramped up on the bean bags. Miriam and Jessica went out for a late night watch at the beach with Hassan and the dude from Sweden.

Sunset at Raglan
Friday

Everybody was leaving that morning. I was glad the noisy ones were gone as well. It was time for another set of backpackers. I liked the new group better.

I bumped into Louisa outside the library. Gave her a big hug and she whispered to me "find someone". I laughed. I wish it was so easy to do so.

I went back to the Fishermans Wharf. there I spent the whole morning, writing, reading and just gazing. It was sooo relaxing!

A lot of the oldies hang out there. I ordered some fish and chips.

Before leaving, I went down the wharf and had a chat with a few locals who were fishing. It's always good to talk to locals.

I went back to the hostel coz I was booked for the 3:30 yoga session. I found Greg at the dining table playing some tunes on the house guitar. We ended up jamming at the patio. Mean!!!! I had so much fun I almost wanted to take out my cajon.

The yoga session was really relaxing. the stretches were good. only bad thing was during the meditation and breathing session, the guy upstairs was walking like a giant with massive feet that we could hear each step. so much for meditating.

that night was a dvd-marathon night. then Greg and I ended up chatting till 1:30 am. He's a smart well travelled guy from France. I really liked the conversations.

Jump-off Bridge at night
I had the room all to myself :D woot woot

Saturday

I woke up early and packed my stuff. Had early breakfast. surprised to see the other guy from France up so early. He started preparing his crepe mix. I never thought of him as a serious person despite his being a charmer at the spa day before. But then throughout the conversations, I realized he was that type of person who was into volunteering, engineering and exploring. He told me to stay for another night. I just couldn't.
Greg woke up and gave me morning kisses, I guess something typical in France. I took down his email in the hope I can catchup with him when I get to France.

I said my goodbyes and went on my way.

Back on the road. Bound for Auckland. 


No comments:

Post a Comment