Sunday, March 17, 2013

Preparations


I'm excited but i'm scared.
I'm feeling positive but anticipating anything can go wrong.
I've been protecting myself from issues or dramas before I go, coz I want a fresh mind and an open heart...no baggage, no hurts, nobody to think of but myself. I owe it to me to be free and embrace the world as my oyster.

For the past few months I've been filling up a spreadsheet with all of the information, directions, prices and links that I can get hold of whilst researching and booking. I've always done this when I go on big trips. It allows me to estimate expenses and further more, plan my route and the distances involved. It can never be as close to how my sister organizes trips, but at least it's something I can go back to in case there are items I have missed.

As part of the preps, here are a few things I've done which I hope someone (might) find helpful in case they do the same thing in the future:
  • Have a Checklist handy for the following items
    • Clothes, as for me i'll be travelling in both cold and hot climates. so better planning is required
    • Bags (i'll be taking my Terra 60L North Face with me) and pack light
    • First Aid Kit (i've included a few survival items too)
    • SPOT Connect items (Beacon)
    • Monetary (OneSmart card for loading of several currencies)
    • Research on vaccinations if needed
  • Read, Read, Read = lots of research
    • Get yourself acquainted with the geography of the places you're going to
    • learn about the distances, the suggested means of travel, best deals
    • make sure to double check tripadvisor site regarding latest news that might have impact on your trip
  • Close accounts that wouldn't be required whilst your away. I'm saying this because I had to cancel my Southern Cross health insurance to lessen expenses, besides, it will be useless while i'm away. Had to cancel my broadband and empower accounts too. 
  •  Make sure to give a copy of your itinerary to your family and/or closest friend so they know your where abouts. My SPOT device will be very handy for this, but it's still best if they know your plans "in case" anything happens. 
So the way I'd like to travel is to have a mix of the following:
  • Visit Museums, Gardens and/or Art galleries
  • Check out a park in a major city 
  • Listen and/or perform in an open mic
  • If safe and weather permitting, do day treks/walks/hikes
  • Talk to locals and ask an "off the beaten track" recommendation --- this i would love to do coz I find these are the places that can be more charming than the usual touristy places
  • have a takeaway(out) breakfast in a park on a Sunday morning -- this i often did when I was on my South America trip. I've always liked to study the dynamics of families on a weekend. parks/beaches can be a good place to do that. I loved the vibe in Chile. :)
  • If there's a fishing area, perhaps stand beside the locals and have a chat -- i usually do that here in NZ
  • Visit a Church and say my 3 wishes :)
  • Strive to take good night photos
  • Don't rush too quick through places. Take it all in and stop for a while or even for days/weeks if I feel like it. 
  • Send a postcard to family and friends -- this I always do. usually when i'm in a park.
Again, there's a lot of things that are out of our control when we travel. Best way in life regardless what stage you are or where you are, is to accept things and react accordingly... wisely and maturely. 

Ahhhhh.... 4 days to go. i'm goin' crazy and panicky. so many things yet to be sorted......






No comments:

Post a Comment