Tuesday, April 30, 2013

WWOOFing @ Bill's Guest House

I arrived in Winnipeg earlier than scheduled. It was still freezing and the breeze was way more than just a chilly breeze.

So this was my first run with WWOOFing.

As per wikipedia: "Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF, pron.: /ˈwʊf/), or Willing Workers on Organic Farms, is a loose network of national organisations that facilitate placement of volunteers on organic farms"

However, this has extended to volunteering in hostels, bed & breakfasts, etc. All assistance are in exchange for accommodation, food, experience, learning and a chance to explore the place and the surroundings.

The first time I encountered this was when I moved to New Zealand. Since then, I've always wondered how it felt and what kind of experience it would be.
 
So before I started this trip, I decided to contact some places. Bill's Guest house was one of those. So I'll be here for 2 weeks, afterwhich I'll be wwoofing with an organic farm and helping out with the a Manitoba Eartship Program.
helping Ricky out on the roof
putting up a new flag of Canada

Bill owns the hostel and Nir, from Israel arrived last April and has been helping out. We've been doing shifts, changing sheets, washing sheets, cleaning the place and organizing stuff.
Check out Bill's Site http://backpackerswinnipeg.com/
It is also worth mentioning that he published a book about a spy in World War II, who was born in Winnipeg.

I've met so many people in the past few days, those just passing through, and those who are in Manitoba to learn about the soil or the bats or even the birds.

It's been fun so far. and also interesting. but those stories are for the next entry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment