Thursday, April 25, 2013

Moose Road Trip

From Seattle, I took the Quick Shuttle back to Vancouver and booked a Moose Coho route, i.e. Vancouver > Kelowna > Banff > Jasper > Banff. I stayed overnight at the SameSun Backpackers along Granville since it was just next door to the office and was more convenient coz it was the pickup point as well.

A few weeks earlier I was trying to work out the best way possible in terms of convenience and practicality to get to Banff. And based on blogs and research, the only other way if you're backpacking is taking the Moose bus which was designed to be a hop on/hop off tour. It was my best option to explore the Rockies instead of hiring a car.

Cameron (Nickname Cam) was our guide for the whole trip and Kristy was the Trainee guide. I learned that majority of the people on the bus had the route going back to Vancouver. Anyway, I decided to let the office know that I wanted to stay 4 days Banff and 4 days in Jasper. (which later on I had changed again).

I was the last one on the bus and decided to take the first row beside Rebecca (Nickname Becky).

Our first stop was at the Bridal Veil Falls. It was a quick 10/15-min walk up and I started to walk further up closer to the falls to practice some photography shots. Something I really like doing when I see waterfalls. A few more went up and Becky also found her way too.

When we got back down Cam had us form a circle and initiated introductions. So it was more of Name, where from and Guilty pleasure.

The Gang

Cam was local and graduated as a Marine Biologist. Later on I was impressed when I learned he's been to the Philippines as a volunteer up in the Babuyan Islands. He had a cheerful personality and for some reason looked familiar. I just couldn't place where I've seen him before. Maybe one day I will. I really liked the way he handled the group and so many other things in the next 4 days I was with them. The mix of being responsible but also funny and bubbly was great to have.

Kristy was local too and from the outskirts of Vancouver. It was her first day as a trainee guide in her dream job. I learned she's done volunteering as a guide in Nicaragua a few years ago. Later on she talked about her fondness with wrestling and some crazy activities.

Becky  was from England,  just graduated from Uni with a degree on Psychology and exploring  Canada for 6 weeks. It was her first time to travel by herself and was a little bit nervy about it. For the next few days we were seatmates on the bus and got to talk about a lot of things and even shared some stories and perspectives on certain topics. She got used to me eventually pointing out so many photo oppts along the way. We actually laughed about it.

Chowe was from China and was in Canada working in the Finance field. Before his journey back home, he decided to take this trip and explore the Rockies. I can't really say if he was shy, but I found it so easy to get along with him. I ended up sometimes teasing him which he didn't take offense on.

Floor was from the Netherlands and was noticeable in the group because of her height. She looked so familiar to me but I was trying to think where I've seen her before. I do remember asking her if she's been to New Zealand, but she said no. After 3 days I recalled seeing her on the Pioneer Underground Tour in Seattle. And how did I remember it?   it was the shoes that reminded me hahaha. We were laughing after I told her.

Trudi was from Australia and have been traveling around as well. At first I thought she was a quiet one but found it hilarious talking to her but moreso dancing :). From my seat, I would usually hear her and Floor giggling. I do recall her mentioning about a job down in Texas. She had a knack for the accent "Yes Ma'am". And so then on I would usually tease her about it.

Josh & Jade were a lovely young couple  from North England. Jade had a sweet and lovely personality. Josh was always all smiles and had a very bubbly personality. Later on I got to have time to chat with them when we were having drinks in Banff. Apparently it was their first time to try hostelling/backpacking and I was glad they were liking the experience. We had a lot of chat about music as I learned Josh was also a singer/songwriter. We made a pinky swear  that we'd perform our songs once we got to Jasper. His materials were awesome, catchy and would definitely make it big.

Martijn was also from Netherlands and traveling around Canada. He was planning to stay in Banff and look for a job. He said he does a lot of crazy stuff, which seemed fitting for his personality. But despite that façade he was good and looked after people. I learned later on when we were walking the trail in the Columbia Icefields that he was gymnast before. He did explain too that he was a very hyper person, which was indeed true. He also played the guitar.

Carina, Sabrina & Franze were the 3 girls from Switzerland. Carina was like the Mom. It was so cute watching them giggle and speaking their language. Sabrina and Franze arrived later than Carina, and this was their trip together.

Hayley was from Wellington, New Zealand and was working in Canada. As she was finishing her Canada chapter, she decided to see the Rockies first before heading back home. Her and me were the oldest in the group hehe. She had her hair dyed too and was trying to stop smoking  she said. She had a big personality and cool sense of humor too.

Cath & Chloe were also from Australia and was headed to Banff for their job at the Same Sun Backpackers. They were the crazy bunch :)

Kelowna

Our first overnight stop was at Kelowna, northeast of Vancouver.  Excerpt from Wiki "Kelowna is a city on Okanagan Lake in the Okanagan Valley, in the southern interior of British Columbia, Canada. Its name derives from an Okanagan language term for "grizzly bear". Kelowna ranks as the 22nd largest metropolitan area in Canada.

As part of the listed activity, we went on a boat and also had 2 groups go out for jetboatting. Good thing it wasn't that cold. After that, We checked in at the SameSun Backpackers. I shared a room with Chowe, Carina, Sabrina, Franze and Martijn. We settled in and Martijn borrowed the guitar, and we both started jammin' and singing. The others were resting and some were smoking downstairs beside the table tennis table.

While waiting for dinner to be served, Kristy and I played pool, 8-ball. She had good long shot strokes, solid arm move. But when I won, I don't think she was impressed. She did warn me though at first that she was really good at it.

Later that night the group went out to have some drinks. Trudi, Floor and I danced some moves on the floor when the music started playing. Note, that was after a drink or two. It was fun and it kept me awake. Earlier, Trudi was teasing me coz my eyes were drooping already haha. Chowe joined Trudi and me later on, which was great! Had to teach a few steps. We left the pub around 10:30ish and guy by then name of Kyle starting busking outside. I stayed for a while and listened to his songs and had a quick chat before I headed back by myself to the hostel. I too k a different route as I wanted to see the other part of town.

Enroute Banff National Park

The following day we were bound for the well known and highly acclaimed Banff National Park. It was a long day on the bus but the views were stunning in each turn we passed by.

Last Spike
We had 2 major stop points that day. One of the highlights was the Emerald Lake. We stopped there for a while and took some photos. I explored further up the hill until I reached the lodges and took a few more photos. We also stopped by the Last Spike and Cam explained the history of the rail tracks and how east was trying meet with west during the design and build phase.

We dropped off Cath and Chloe at the SameSun backpackers and headed to HI Banff which was on top of the hill. I was assigned to a different room, where I didn't know anyone. But it was okay as I eventually got to be acquainted with the couple from Montreal and a dude (who spoke to me in my language) from Ontario.

There was pub crawl that night but nobody in the group was keen. So we decided to have a drink at the pub downstairs. A few played pool and I had time to chat with Jade and Josh. I learned that Josh has been playing in a duo back in England and was also writing some songs.

Enroute Jasper National Park

I changed my mind and decided to head on to Jasper with the group instead of staying for 4 days in Banff. Good thing Cam was okay with that. It was a little bit snowing when we checked out of the hostel. That day was amazing because of the walks, stops and explorations we did.

Our first stop for the day was to visit Lake Louise. I guess the photos on the postcards looked so different since the time we visited the place, the glaring white snow greeted us instead of the colorful lake. That gave us a good reason to come back sometime in the future and capture its beauty when the summer season melts all the snow.

We explored the chateau and then decided to take a walk around the lake. I had time to chat with Martijn and that's when I learned about his plans to look for a job in Banff. After more than half an hour of walking we decided to head back coz we had limited time there.

We then went through the Icelands Parkway, big Daddy , Waterfowl Lakes and so many more…. The views were amazing… and all I could do was sigh. Cam explained the glaciers and pointed out a few along the way. He also explained the corrosion that occurred in one of the mountains where the colors were so much different from the others we've seen earlier.

We stopped for lunch at a picnic stop, where we had to walk down a trail and get to a bridge. It was so beautiful with the rocks and how it was formed from centuries of melting snow and flowing water. I quickly found the way to the rocks and started to explore further. I just wanted to stop, sit, stare and inhale  its grandeur. I took out my beef jerky and loaded up. Before leaving the place, I replenished my water bottle from the stream. As Cam said, it was safe, clean and more pure than bottled water. :) oh yes it was! YUM! :)

One of my favorite was the Columbian Icefields and how enormous the glacier was. Martijn and I decided to quickly start the walk, through the snow and the rocks hoping to each the base at some point. But I guess we didn't have enough time to complete the walk and were summoned to go back to the bus.

We reached Jasper National Park mid afternoon and went directly to town to do our shopping, explore a bit and do groceries. The group contributed $5 each and would be cooking for the night at the wilderness hostel. Everyone decided it would be vegetarian pasta with salad and also  mushrooms. Yum.

By 6 pm, we arrived at the HI Wilderness Hostel - Athabasca Falls. I believe it was 30 km away from town, surrounded by the forest and running water was non-existent and drop-toilets were the way to go for release :D. All of the dorms and communal area were made out of logs, which added to the wilderness feel of it. When we arrived there was a group of guys there and a girl from Germany, whose birthday they were celebrating.

Floor, Cam, Martijn and  I started cooking for the night which I found really fun. Felt like we were a family. We occupied the stove on the far left corner and the rest of the gang waited with hungry eyes.. Waiting for us to finish the task at hand.

After washing dishes, we communed in the sofa area near the fireplace and the jam session begun. I shared a few of my tunes and Josh, as promised, played his songs. I really liked his voice and how much body it can have once he gets into his tune. His materials were the type that would sell as the rhythm were really catchy and had a hook. Plus, the themes of his songs were all life inspiring. I really liked the words as they were intricately chosen. The jam session continue on with Martijn  and then Cam sang a few tunes too, his voice reminded me a little bit of Jason Mraz.

Eventually we were invited by the other guys to join them in the campfire, where the rest of the evening was spent. I lingered for a while and decided to call it an early night for me. had a group hug with Jade,Josh,Floor and Becky and then headed  back to the quarters. Before having a shut eye, I decided to ring friends back in NZ. I decided to move on to Edmonton the following day instead of staying (which later on got changed again).

Farewells

Cam woke me up quarter to 8 am and asked if I was still planning to get on the bus to town. I said yes. So I quickly packed up my stuff, said goodbye to those who were awake early and hopped on the bus. Josh was also up early and in the bus.

The guys dropped me off at the bus station. I hugged them goodbye and waited for the bus terminal to open. (I don't like saying goodbyes at all)

The Moose trip with the group was a fantastic one. Knowing each and everyone was amazing. As always its the journey and the people you meet that makes it worthwhile. :)
Photo by Cam Hookey



No comments:

Post a Comment