Monday, April 8, 2013

Trails, Roads and Stories

I wasn’t able to go to The Marlin for the Wednesday night open mic. Maria did remind me about it, but I decided to keep in doors since that was the same day I rushed myself to the emergency. The steroids slowly regulated my asthma however I knew I still wasn't 100%. When you get old, you learn to listen to your body better… a skill that not everyone has when they're young. I ended up taking the guitar out and playing for Maria, Joseph and Cho in the hostel.

Monday, 04 April 2013

Trails & Farris

I did some hikes in the UAF (University of Alaska, Fairbanks). I forced myself that day to go out and walk,
thinking that should in a way help me with my asthma. Go figure. Ruan did mention though that he could hear me struggling with my breathe the night before.

I avoided the dog trails this time. Walking through the boreal forest sort of hypnotized me. I had the trail to myself, but there were 2 ladies who I bumped into when I was walking on the ski trail. One of the ladies yelled at me "Ski trail!" and giving me the look of… DUH. But because I couldn't sort out the start of the walking/snowshoeing trail, I decided to follow theirs for a start.

Smith Lake
The sun was a little bit intense and the weight I was carrying wasn't ideal for someone who was still sickly. I decided to continue on to the highest point on the map where it led me to the Animal Research Centre, but closed for the season. At that point I was not feeling unwell, but my tummy was growling. I only had a small rice pudding cup and cookies n cream yoghurt with me. That was enough to give me enough calories and energy on the track.

When I got to the end of the trail I decided to follow the road instead. The first few efforts to hitch hike didn't
Lichens
pan out, so I decided to turn right and head back down to the Dome area. As I was walking, I passed by a house with NO fence at all and a growling dog. Now, growing up in the Philippines, such scenarios requires a certain amount of discernment on what's the best possible option. Dogs here can't be compared to our askal (street) dogs. However, I was scared I'd get to the point where I'll run and I'll get on a place with dog bites.

… So.. Me looking to the right….. …. In a few milliseconds heart rate increasing…. Brain malfunction…. And prayers now are whispered…….outloud…….

My thoughts? " CARRRR please pass by!!!"

Now at that very moment… YES ALLELUIA a car indeed passed by. Some would think I'm over reacting. But if you see a dog as huge as what I've seen…...Nope..I ain't gonna risk and go on walking … talk about alpha male blah blah …. Still NOPE.

And this is when I met Farris. I was frantic and almost stood in the middle of the road…… Screeching brakes……


someone left a sign
It was a hilarious scene coz I didn't even get to seat beside him at first...I jumped into the backseat coz I didn't want to go to the other side where the dog was.

Farris was a lovely person to talk to. He's one of the Senior Board of Directors in Fairbanks and has been very active with the community most especially with the home for the aged. He gave me a tour around the vicinity where the homes were and told me stories about the different close friends and patients he visits every week. I couldn't recall their names anymore but I found it really interesting when we got to the topic of old age and death. Different perspectives were shared and I guess because what he's been through in life, death doesn't seem to have a hold on "fear" anymore. I did share with him though my 2 greatest fear about death (1) to die being raped (2) dying alone.

It was incidental that he dropped by the post office, so I did my postage errands as he waited outside. He cleaned the front seat beside him and we continued on. As we were on our way to town, he mentioned that the following day was the burial ceremony of one of the ladies who died. And he said, what's sad about the scene is that all of the people who attends from the home just know that they might be next……..

Now, if I were to contemplate on that statement...if you have lived your life to the fullest , in the greatest of intentions… then I guess dying wouldn't be something to be sad about...rather…. Just a period to an eventful life… Or maybe I'm just saying this.

He dropped me off at the Town Hall Museum and said that he'd be at the library for an hour, and if I wanted a lift back to the hostel he's be happy to do so. I said thank you then headed to the Museum where I played the piano for the last time.

K.J. Simon (Painter/Writer/Bus Driver)

I was in that museum a few days ago. Entrance is free and the materials they have I really appreciate because of the history behind each displayed item. I played the 1902 piano again and lingered.

That's when I met Karen J. Simon, a painter, writer and previous bus drive/tour guide. She just finished putting up her paintings in the art section. There was something really rugged about the brush strokes, and apparently the way I interpreted her works were exactly how she wanted it to be. Which was good.

So we got on talking for the next half an hour. She had 2 books published in Fairbanks, 1 a love-story fiction and another 1 was her true to life story, about domestic violence. It was quite interesting when we got into the deep discussion about that. With such an experience and how the book has inspired such silent souls affected by it, that's what really matters when you take your story out there with the sole purpose of touching people's hearts.

Oogie

I met Oogie initially via the Couchsurfing website. But there's more to that story :)

Remember my entry when I hitched a ride after going to the Ice Art World Championship on my second day in Fairbanks? Well…. I wouldn’t want to say it was a coincidence… but the lady (Britta) who gave me a lift, was apparently her host family in Alaska. Hehehe.

I walked up the Empress Theatre and asked for her. And voila that was her in person. It was so nice to meet her at last. Her aura was so bright and I can just feel the positive energy from her. We had a short chat coz I didn't want to disturb her for the day's Dress Rehearsals.

Oogie's originally from Iowa but was in Fairbanks to play the part of Regan, the second daughter of Shakespear's King Lear. They were doing a Gwich'in representation of the play itself and it was Open Dress Rehearsals that night. But because of the open mic I was going to, I decided to watch the main opening instead on the Friday :)


I promised I'd be back to the following day and bid her goodbye :)
I also learned that it was so cute of Britta (her host) to post on Facebook to her friends that if they see a girl hitch hiking, to give her a lift.... translate...<me, the lost girl hahaha>
She made a prayer around me and wished me well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment