Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Billie's Backpackers & My Roomies

 Billie's Backpackers was located a little bit outside of town but still convenient for public transportation. Both the blue and red line would pass by Aurora Avenue/Street, and as long as you get to that street or College Road, then you should be fine.

Billie had 2 dogs (names I've now forgotten) and was really lovely. Her eyes looking through those thick eyeglasses were so endearing , made me feel safe and at home. The place itself had a charming atmosphere to it too. I'm sure it would look lovelier in spring, free from the snow at the front steps.
&nbsp
I really liked how the place was designed with an old telephone, old radio, everything seemed to been authentically maintained to give that "cottage" style feeling. The moment I saw the small lounge and kitchen, I knew my next few days in Fairbanks would be of good memories.
I shared a room on the second floor with 3 other guys. Cho was from Korea but lived in Florida. He's been in Fairbanks for almost a month then, but his main goal was to look for a house and start his own business. He had such a cool and happy personality that was so easy to get along with. We clicked from the very first time we started talking. And I did offer that if in case he needed help with his business maybe i can reconsider and come back to fairbanks. Besides, I was loving Alaska at that point in time.

Renier, Cho, Ruan, Jowe
The top bunks were occupied by 2 guys from South Africa. Ruan and Renier just came back then from their camping adventure in the cold up north. I envied how brave and physically strong they were to such rough climate and terrain, but i knew that was something I could never do. They were both working in Antarctica for 15 months and both Engineers.

Along with Joe (master of the puppy Basco), we would usually stay up until 1 am talking and discussing so many things, usually intellectual stuff. I loved it. It was all mind stimulating and I learned a lot too. The boys were all mesmerized by science talk even. I just listened trying to absorb as much as I can.

The day I left Fairbanks, my heart sunk coz I still didn't want to leave. But as my sister said, had I stayed longer maybe things would have been different. There are times when you just need to move on :) But the good memories still stays on :)



No comments:

Post a Comment