Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Heat of Athens

I arrived in Athens around 4 pm in the afternoon. Everybody in Bosnia said it would be warm but boy when I got off the plane the heat was intense. By the time I got off the train and walked the streets in jeans, quarter sleeves top and my big backpack, I was sweating like a pig. Not to mention that I sort of got confused with the street names and walked 3 blocks past my hostel's alleyway. So yeah. The sweating pig didn't read the signs right. However, to be fair, you'll realize that the Greek alphabet is way out of my dictionary. eeek! alert! and majority if the people I asked on the streets couldn't speak English. 

I stayed at Hostel Zorbas which was just a few steps away from Victoria square. By the time I found it, I could barely smile..the heat was taking me down. I got myself a 4-bed dorm just to be told by the front desk dude that I was only allowed to use the bunk bed and not the double bed. okay, I figured I was going to have a couple as room mates, Oh no! could it be Lake Bled scenario all over again? But....good thing he mentioned that there was another person in the room, so that was better. There was only one key though. It was the same case when I was in Sarajevo. 

That's when I met Brenda. She was from Buenos Aires, Argentina....with a big smile, cheerful personality and so full of life. She was as petite as me but looking more Mexican rather than South American. We could have some conversations with my crooked Spanish. It was really funny because we'd hang out together with our Spanish-English translation/dictionary books. For the rest of my stay in Athens, she was my constant companion.That evening, we met our other roomies Selena and Nini, who were from the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment