Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Ferry ride from Thira to Athina

It was a good decision to catch a different ferry back to Athens from Santorini. It was the high speed one instead of Blue Star Ferries. From the moment we started boarding the ferry, I knew for sure I’d make it in time back to Athens for my midnight train to Trikala. 

It was scorching hot as I walked up the flight of stairs of the Helenic Ferry. My sigh must have been loud enough to be heard coz a tall guy looked at me and said “It’s quite hot ey”. I looked at him and automatically asked, “Canadian?” He answered back, “Aussie”. “Oh okay”, I answered and didn’t continue on coz I wasn’t really in the mood to have a conversation. He blurted, “and you, American?”. I bluntly said “Nope” then ended the exchange after that. 

This ferry was very much organized. No roaming outside, no smoking and everyone had a designated seat. As usual the heat outside just dragged me down. By the time I found my seat, I just dumped my bag down and settled in looking forward to an afternoon nap. I took out my music and drowned out the noise. 

I woke up to the blaring sound on the speakers that we were stopping by one of the islands to drop off and pick up passengers. Quietly tucked in my seat, I just watched groups of people get off and the new batch wandering around figuring out the seat allocations. 

It was 45 minutes before we reached Athens when the same guy looked at me from afar. I didn’t fully smile but did acknowledge. After a few seconds, he walked towards and me and that’s how we got to start chatting. 

His name was Peter, born in Greece, lived most of his life in Australia and now starting up a business in Beijing. He was tall and definitely and fit but his accent was so Aussie. We got to talk about the different islands in Greece and about the party scene that’s been happening in Mykenos. I chose not to go there at all even though people said it was so cheap. Apparently, it was known to be an Aussies destination for those who wanted to get wasted, stoned or get laid. Go figure, I realized as I write this, that there are heaps of islands around the Balkans and Aegean Sea that has the similar reputation (that’s another story yet to come). He explained that he’s very embarrassed about the horror stories of Aussie behavior on the island which was why he didn’t go there at all on that holiday. 

We got to talk about the business that he and a mate stared up in Beijing. A pub in one of the night scenes of the city, he said he’s been enjoying it. He did tell me though about the competition and also gave me an idea on how the students were during a drinking session. It was interesting to hear it from a Westerners perspective. But for sure, he did notice the amount of respect that the guys had for the girls. 

By the time we arrived in Athens, I was already panicky if I was going to get to my next trip considering that I still had to catch a local train before I can get on the national one. I only had less than an hour to do that and I wasn’t really impressed with Greek train systems. 

Peter was supposed to be collected by his cousin, but he found out that the cuz forgot about it. So we both crossed the road together to the Pireaus train station. He did offer to have a quick dinner but I had to decline coz I was in a rush. 

We still had the chance to chat on the train. He said so many nice things and did blurt that he noticed I’m a confident solo traveler. I just laughed when he said he could see me and him having good chemistry if we traveled together. Oh boy, he just didn’t know about my moods. 

He took my number and gave me his calling card, reminding me that if in any point in time I’m in Australia that I can contact him. He even joked that if I become famous in the future with my music, that he’d be happy to be my bodyguard. It was a far-fetched thought if you’d ask me. 

I said goodbye to him when we approached my train stop at Larissa. He asked me to text him once I’ve arrived at the national train station, just so he knows I’ve made it safe and sound. I’d say that was a sweet gesture. I said yes and waved goodbye. I was true to my word and did send him a message. 

The train to Trikala was delayed for almost half an hour. Oh yes, Greek time indeed. In Africa, you’d plainly say, Hakuna Matata.

No comments:

Post a Comment