Thursday, September 19, 2013

Arrivin in Roma

So, yes, it was supposed to be Dublin or Malta. But a last minute decision made me choose Rome. 

Before heading off to Gatwick airport, I had to pass by the China Embassy and pickup my passport. I was so relieved when I got my visa. The guy before me was rejected. I didn't quite understand why though. 

It was gray and raining in London, the usual. I found my way to London bridge station and got off at East Croydon where I waited for my 1:08 pm train to Gatwick. Time flies when you're having fun, READ>>People watching while waiting. 

I was a little bit impressed with Gatwick. Everything was organized and security was strict. First time for my keychain to be taken away from me. But that was fine.

So I arrived in Roma around 6 pm and it was chaos when I got out of the airport. I guess thats typical.

Hostel Des Artes is located along Via Villafranca, just a few blocks from the Termini Station, the main station in Rome.  It was quite dark when I got out of the train station, feeling a little bit tired and woozy, I found my way easily to the place. A lot of Pizzeria places were along the sidewalks and I could hear heaps of Italians that night.

I got an upgrade from a 5-bed dorm to a 4-bed one, although, I couldnt quite use the context "upgrade" anyway. When I got in the lights were off and someone was already sleeping. I creeped in quietly and chose the bed closest to the window. The resto downstairs was buzzing with people having their late dinner. I was famished.

The place required cash only payment and I didnt have enough. So I had to walk to the closest atm machine, just to find out that it wasnt working for my mastercard. bummer. i wasnt in the mood and all i wanted was to have dinner and hit the bed. My fever was building up. A little bit grumpy, I walked back to the hostel and gave them an installment and said id pay the rest the following day. I was glad I was talking to the guy coz he was more nice than the pouty lady.

The pizzeria in the corner was my chosen place coz I didnt want to walk any further. For sure, Rome isnt cheap at all. gee weez! I went downstairs, avoiding the crowd of families and lovers seated outside. The waiter was really cheeky and asked, "table for 2?" I said "1" He said "2?" I said "1" Then he said 2 again, saying me and him. Cheeky. I smiled and said, Id like to sit down.

I ordered the cheapest on the menu which already cost me 4 Euros. Yeah I know, Im cheap, but hey, I knew I can get something more for that price had I been energized to walk further. Anyway, the 4 Euros bought me leaves. Yes, leaves. I felt like a goat. But, it went along with bread. So it was okay.

The waiter gave me a free shot of what they call Lemoncello which he said was on him. At first I thought it would just be tasing Lemony. But apparently it was a spirit. I gulped it down after my dinner. Again, at this point, I was getting annoyed with the waiters and chefs staring at me. Is it always like this in Italy if youre a solo lady traveling?

I walked to the counter and paid my bill. He then again gave me a shot of Lemoncello. This time I asked how much the shot was. He said it was on him again. Okay, now it was sounding dodgy. Then he asked if Im just traveling alone. I said yes, not wanting to chit chat any further. I said goodnight and he reached out his hand and gestured the beso. I shook his hand and of course, just like in French, with that gesture I thought he was just wanting a cheek to cheek. But NO! Gee Weez! If I could only poke his eyes with my 2 fingers I would have! GRRR. He was aiming for me lips. EEWWWW!!!

I quickly walked away and left the place. UGH!

I got back to my room and quietly sneaked under the blanket. My fever was getting worse. The bed was creaking as the dude 2 beds away rolled over. Later on I learned he was also feeling under the weather.

At 5 am, someone walked in. Another dude who just came back from partying.

The early noise of street cleaning could be heard from outside the window. I closed my eyes hoping the fever would go away so I could explore the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment