Saturday, May 4, 2013

Winnipeg, the Gateway to the West

Today marks my first week in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I feel like I've been here for a month already. I guess that's what happens when you work in a hostel and so many people pass by, some for a night, some for a few days. But mostly, people just really pass through Winnipeg, seems to be the stepping stone to the next destination.

A lot of people asked me "Why Winnipeg?". Translates to "There's nothing there".

The story is, I initially planned to go to Churchill, Manitoba. A remote place that not often people would go to. But before I left NZ, I saw this photo with Polar bears and the possibilities of volunteering in a science center. Of course, there would be fees to be paid which I found quite expensive. So the alternative to that was to look for WWOOFing place. 1 in a hostel and 1 in a farm. I wanted to experience it, so I thought that was the best way for me to do so. Try to live like a local and feel like I have a base even just for a few weeks.

I think Winnipeg can offer a few more things to look at and check out once the full blast of summer arrives. The other day it was snowing and the wind was so cold. Not everyone would be enticed to go outdoors and explore. At this point, I'm so fed up with the cold. So I tend to stay inside and put aside any exploration if I don't see the sun.

Winnipeg is almost on the coordinates of the center of the North America. It is called the Gateway to the West, as it is on the East of the Canadian Prairies. It was once the main trading point of the Natives, considering too that it had the Red River passing through. There are a lot of music festivals in the summer season and of course the whole city would look vibrant in that time of year. Right now, it's dry, dusty and gray.

I've been helping out the past week. Nir, from Israel, has also been assisting with household chores. Usually he'd take the morning shift before going to his driver training. Bill, bought this house a few years ago. Apparently, the villa was once a place for single mothers.

okay this is to be continued. just havin' a headache right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment