Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Bonavista (Oh, Happy sight!)


view from the water tank

The fog was persistent even on Trans Canada Highway 1. It was driving me nuts and once again I felt like my eyes were popping out. Strained and tired, the radio of the 90's (with 98 degrees) was keeping me company. The stretch of the highway was so boring and the gust of wind from passing by trucks were so much hit by my little Sparc. oh well.
 
I decided to drive towards Bonavista and check out the site where
it was said to be John Cabot's landing site. By the time I got to Clarenville, the sun was out and the fog was history. I learned there were only a few sections which were highly affected by the fog. With this in mind, it easily prepped me up for the next day.
 
It's been said that when John Cabot found this town he blurted out "Oh Buon Vista" which meant O, Happy Sight!. Well, I'd say that's what I exactly felt when I arrived. The town was compact and the roads were narrow but the village feel to it was charming. From afar if you'd be able to smell a mix of salty waters and fish. I dropped by the harbor and took a few photos and just soaked it all in. It had so much of a different vibe to it. I loved it so much.
 
A few breakwaters can be seen from a distance to protect the harbor in a few ways. The rich fishing and sealing grounds was enticing for a different European powers. But only the French and English stressed on having rights to this quaint fishing village.
 
I decided to check out the lighthouse at the cape, which was still working. Early designs of using parabolic reflectors can still be seen once inside the actual headlight. It was interesting to see the inside of the lighthouse and have a feel and idea of how the lightkeepers family lived. back in the days they were pretty well off and well taken care of by the government. Proper housing equipment were provided to ensure they had a good lifestyle since they're a little bit secluded from the rest of the town.
 
Years ago they would use whale oil which then became so expensive. So they decided to shift and use seal oil. Eventually, they went on with the use of coal, more economical and abundant. The first lighthouse keeper was Jeremy, who tediously looked after that place alongside with his son as his assistant.
 
The walk along the coast was superbly lovely. The sun was on my side that day and views of the
ocean was magnificent. There was a small trail on the side of the lighthouse, which I decided to explore for a bit. The blue and green mix of the ocean was lovely to stare at.
 
I slowly found my way to where John Cabot's statue was built. There on the coast of Cape Bonavista was a reminder where John once stood and discovered the Newfoundland.

No comments:

Post a Comment