Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The rest of the East Coast

I stopped by a few towns along the way. The beautiful coastline beckoned for me to take some photos as the fog was coming in. I found that the further you go, the fog was getting intense. I stopped by Cape Broyle, Ferryland and Cape Race but didn't get to drive to the National historic Site. All I can remember was that it was well known to be the wrecker of ships due to the number of shipwrecks due to the currents and fog that settles in the cape.
 
I was on a mission to get to Agentia, Placentia that night. The drive was getting to be a little bit daunting for me and the fog was coming in pretty fast. The moment I got to the town proper of Placentia, I was a little bit disappointed that the fog covered the whole trail of the First French settlement which was along the coast. As much as I wanted to explore it, I decided not to risk it.
 
I found myself a Tim Hurton's that night which was good. Mobile reception for Rogers was pretty bad in Newfoundland most especially around the East Coast. I connected to the wifi and sent Max a message on facebook, sending a warning about the fog and to drive easy. I wasn't sure if he would have got it in time. It was already a Friday and I'm sure that he was on his way down the coast already.
 
I researched the internet and checked the weather. It seemed that rain was coming in for Placentia the following day. I decided to look for a campsite to stay for the night and found the Agentia Sunset Park. Ironically that day, the sun was setting behind the fog.
Placentia
I arrived and there was no ranger at the reception. I found the small building open and decided to walk in just to check out the facilities. There were showers a small kitchen. cool. One of the guys who had a trailer chatted with me and explained a little bout the area. Apparently, a few years ago, that campground was a US base. All of the trailers in the campsite were workers in the Nickle site just half an hour drive from Agentia.
 
After 30 minutes the ranger Rey arrived in his blue sedan car. Made me feel better so at least my stay in the site would be legal. He allowed to park right beside the building which was better since it sort of protected me from the wind.
 
I had better sleep that night. I felt warmer that the previous night. I think it was because I was sheltered from the wind and cold. Although, I do remember the car was still getting a little bit of gusts here and there. But it was all okay.
 
I woke up to a morning of full fog and rain. I took a hot shower, hang out in the kitchen for a while as I started filling up the blog. Then headed my way back to town to check out Placentia for a while.
 
By the way, Agentia has a port where they offer ferry services to Nova Scotia, but only during the summer months. That would have been great, but yeah, maybe next time.
 
I decided to drive through to Trinity Bay North. By the time I approached Trans Canada Highway 1, mobile reception got better. A text message came in, it was Max asking about the drive. I sent a message that I was on my way up North. 

No comments:

Post a Comment