Monday, May 27, 2013

Flying to St.John's & a moody room mate

I arrived in Toronto after 2 days on the bus. Dropped my stuff at the Canadiana Backpackers since I decided to just carry 1 bag with me and my guitar to St.John's. I felt big time woozy dizzy, deprived of sleep and a shower. But I knew having a nap would just give me headaches.

I walked to a nearby Tim hurton's and had a coffee to keep me awake. Browsed on the net more about Newfoundland and booked a rental car for a 5-6 day road trip around the island.  Then went to a nearby catholic church to hear Sunday mass. I felt bad coz there were moments when I drifted away, i.e. snoozing.
  
I found Toronto massive. And the magnitude of it wasn't appealing to me that morning since all I needed was to figure out how to get to the airport….. Note: the cheapest way. Eventually I got to the right tunnel. I only spent $3.00 to get to the airport! Woot woot! :) And that was from downtown via train and bus.
  
 My flight to St.John's was scheduled 4:25 pm on a Sunday, 19th of May. I arrived at the airport around 10:30 am. I roamed around and met a few Filipino's who worked there . I completed my check in and decided to go through security early, that way I had more options for food inside.
  
I think eating Thai wasn't a good idea that morning. It made me more sleepy. So I decided to find me a quiet area where I could actually play my guitar and work on the song about my Canada trip.
  
 You see, at that point I felt like I started the trip on a wrong note. The flight was delayed and moved to 5:25. The PA blurted out so many announcements in the span of 5 minutes, majority with apologies about the previous one. And I just shook my head when Air Canada said they were backing out the first plane due to technical issues. They had to change it to another airbus. But hey, I thought to myself, situations like these just means...it's not yet meant to leave.
 We eventually got on the plane at some point. And I think we had a take off before 6 pm that night. I was so tired and needing a hot shower by then. We arrived at St.John's around 10 pm and it was raining. Oh, hold on...that was an understatement. It was cold, raining and just miserable. The lady at the information desk was friendly enough to ring me a Jiffy cab. 
He was hilarious. I guess when you're on the night shift you'd better have a sense of humour or else it'll just be boring. He mentioned that it was snowing at Gander that day. Eeek. Okay, freak storm or what? 
 He dropped me off at 8 Gower Street, St.John's, where the HI hostel was located. I found my way to the bedroom and realized I was on the top bunk since all the other beds were taken. I didn't turn on the lights coz I didn't want to wake up the girls. All I had to do was to have a hot shower and go to bed. Dinner wasn't part of the plan anymore. 
So, this is where it got interesting. I had a feat with a girl, the one in my bunk. And I wasn't in the mood to shut up. Although she told me to shut up. Let's say, she wasn't the type who should be staying in a dorm either. Apparently, I learned that she was also mean to some of the previous roomies. Duh!
 And so I tried to go to sleep with a fuming mood. I was thinking I started this trip so wrong...a delayed flight, rain and a blimmin' angry room mate. What else? I dozed off to sleep and requested a room change the following morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment