Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Last night in St.John's

I woke up a little bit early and had breakfast. I was finding Skerwink HI so homey that I didn't feel like going. Utah, David and I had such a wonderful travel discussion about the different countries we've been to. David and Libby stayed a year in China a few years ago, where they were teaching English in a local school. 

It was around 11:30 in the morning and I knew it was time to pack up and go. I received a message from Max that they were already back in St.John's. That was fast driving considering they camped out near Trinity the night before. I replied I'd be in St.john's late afternoon since I need to get to Outfitters and return the pots and stove. 

It was quite a drive for me going back. The fog was again on highway 1 for a few sections. I was a little bit tired and there were a few times when I was a little bit to the brink of "dozing" on the wheel. So I had to make a few stops along the way just to make sure my nerves were still up for the driving. 

I found my way back to Water Street and returned the stuff to Outfitters. Eventually I got to the hostel and checked in. First thing's first.. I had to do my laundry. 

After an hour I saw Max and his friend Patrick, also from Germany. They've met at the hostel a few days ago and went on the road trip together. Patrick has been working in Canada for a while now and on his way back home. 

I found it really sweet of Max to live up to his word that we'd meet again on that Sunday. Traveling and my previous experiences taught me how to avoid expectations, at least no disappointments right? But yeah, he was there and it was funny coz it just clicked. He studied International Studies and just finished his masters degree in Miami at the age of 27. He can speak 4 languages which I found really impressive. We exchanged a few things about travel plans and thoughts about life, even in the short time that we were together. There were a few things that we shared the same perspective on.

We met a few more people in the hostel, a group who was on their way to Gros Morne National Park. 2 girls from Germany, a guy from Ottawa and a girl from Australia. 

We met up with each other at O'Reilly's Irish Pub and had a few drinks together. It was quite difficult talking amidst the noisy live music around. I guess there was a little bit of awkward silence at some point too. Their group have been together for quite a while now and well I was in the middle coz technically it was only that day that i've really talked that long to both groups. I felt a little bad when the boys were feeling a little bit left out and felt that there was invisible fog between. I said it might have been the seating arrangement. I think I should have just exchanged with the girls so the boys had the chance to talk to them.

Anyway, Max, Patrick and I went ahead and said goodnight to them. I joined the guys to go to the waterfront and take some photos. They lingered for a while back in the hostel. After some time, I walked them out to the door. Patrick had an early flight so they decided to sleep in the car somewhere close by to the airport. Max said "maybe see you in Europe" as he hugged me goodbye. 

Packing up for my flight wasn't part of the plan when I got back to my room. I had the dorm to myself so I had all my stuff scattered around. A task waiting to be done the following day. I checked my emails then dozed off to sleep. 

Around 3 or 4 am, steps could be heard from the hallway.... I wonder who's been partying all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment