Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Ship Open Mic Nights @ St.John's

I decided to check out the open mic scene that Monday night. The girls in my new assigned room were keen to join me as well :). Geraldine and Candice have been at the hostel for a few days already. I really liked their company, independent ladies with a lot of confidence and were easy to talk to.
 
The Ship Pub (265 Duckworth Street) alongside MusicNL have been running the Monday night open mic in St.John's. It's been a joint collaboration, encouraging musicians, singer and songwriters, to come on stage and share their music.
 
I decided to go before the girls, since they were thinking of having dinner first. The Ship Pub was already packed when I arrived. The main artist was also the host, named Caroline. She's been working on her EP album for the past months. The songs were lovely and the words were charming, of course all of those I've heard were love songs. And the words were those of which I would have dreamed to write in my own songs. But anyway, she had a guy by the name of Stephen, who played the guitar for her and joined with backup vocals. Their voices complemented each other.
 
I played 3 of my songs and received a very good feedback from the crowd. One of the songwriters who performed earlier tapped my shoulder and said "you're a very talented songwriter".
 
A few more musicians played for the rest of the night. Us girls just listened through. I really liked the audience because they listened. Of course for some other pubs, it was a different deal. Playing at O'Reilly's made me perform cover songs instead. Yup, that's always the case it seems when it's a bigger pub and a taller stage. hehe.
 
The girls and I said goodnight and dozed off happy that night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment