Sunday, May 26, 2013

Life in the Northern Sun Farm

I didn't know what to expect. Stacey just told me to expect the unexpected. And I concede to the fact that it's much better to have no expectations at all, rather, be surprised with the experience and the people.

A few months ago I signed up for WWOOFing in Canada. The first 2 weeks with the Winnipeg Hostel and a week with the Northern Sun farm Co Op.

As far as I knew back then, Northern Sun Farm Co Op comprised of several families in a community who have adopted sustainable living  lifestyle. I've always been interested to see how this was done in Canada, not that I've seen it in New Zealand. But I guess the curiosity to see the lifestyle in a different country was enticing for me. So I made sure I'd have a taste of it as part of my Canada trip. I wanted to learn and perhaps take with me some knowledge that I might adopt myself once I settle back in.

Dawn's house
Dawn picked me up at exactly 12:30 pm on a Friday, 10th of May 2013. She had bright striking eyes, silver-gray hair and a shining smile. She gave me a hug at the door. It was cute how she had to bend a little bit because she was so much taller than me. I said goodbye to Bill and we went on our way.

We dropped by a few places to pick up a few things. On the way, we had so many discussions about Manitoba, Winnipeg and the farm. The highway stretched in front of us and I couldn't help but be amazed. It's been a while since I've been in a car and so I felt I was on a road trip. We passed through Steinbach and eventually got to Sarto, Manitoba.


The house was made by hand….by Dawn, Gearheart and Tim. Members of the community. It was so cute how they made it and the story behind the materials and all. The Oak trees nestled it as I passed through the hanging seemed to be Tibetan flags. On the left was a cute veggie patch as well as Garlic sprouting, soon ready for harvest. I loved how they've made it so organized inside, but most especially the wood….everything was made of wood. Poplar Trees surrounded the 240+ hectare of land and 7-8 families were part of the community.
    
   The Northern Sun Farm started back in the 70's when a few people got into the idea of having a  
Hoop house
community on a land in Manitoba. They heard about the one in Sarto and decided to stay there. As far as I remember, Mike and Gearheart were a few of those who spearheaded it. Eventually, some started their own families until it grew to be a Co Op. There was a suggestion to start introducing Hydro but a few members didn't like the idea and wanted things to be natural. So those who disagreed left the farm and those who stayed continued on with the sustainable living lifestyle. Eventually they picked up the name Northern Sun, adopted from one of the nuclear activist groups in North America (as per Gearheart's explanation).

Now on to Dawn's family and the people I've met in the farm.
Mitch,Dawn,Noble
Dawn's partner is Mitch, tall bloke with a moustache and was working with at a construction site. He had his own shack at the back where hanging wheels was the first thing I've noticed. His fixations are mushrooms and spirals. :) All around the place were hanging artworks of his spirals. As far as I know, he built the greenhouse were a bunch of plants were kept to start blooming before they were taken outside for further growth. He can play the guitar so pretty well and he also taught me about putting up a composting pile. He had a funny sense of humour but also inquisitive in a way. They've been together for 6 years now.

 I also met Noble, Dawn's second son. A 14-year old with bright striking eyes too, very much a teenager with a charming a smile and smart retorts when it comes to school issues. :) He didn't like school, so sometimes he'd declare a day as a day-off. His skills were crafting knives, hunting, fishing and he also knows a lot about the gardens and plants. But of course as a teenager, he'd rather spend much time with his friends, i.e. Orion. He's been living  in a red trailer just adjacent to his father's house (Gearheart, Dawn's second husband). He'd sometimes pass by the house to have lunch or dinner. In June, he's scheduled to go on a summer trip to the Yukon and learn more on hunting, fishing and horse back riding.

hay & straw
 A few days earlier before the farm, I had the opportunity to meet Sam, Dawn's eldest son. He's been living in Winnipeg for 2 years now and sharing a house with his partner Stace (who I met even earlier) and Craig, Dawn's first partner. They had me over for dinner and I stayed I think for 4 hours, just having a chat with them. Their house was so cute, lit by the sunset's rays, splurging into the yellow painted lounge area. Stacey prepared dinner for us that night. She carried this very light and amazing aura around her, with such positivity and energy. Her eyes always popped up with enthusiasm every time she'd think of something brilliant or even when she starts singing. Both her and Sam are in their 19's/20's, a young couple so much in love. They were cute together. We chatted the night away, talking about so many things, even to the extent of country music and Canadian music too. And they gave me some tips about Newfoundland as well.

 As for the members of the farm, I had the opportunity to meet Catherine & Alex, Tim, Mitch & Vanessa (and 1st born Leon), Ray & Candice, Murray & Correen.

The term "sustainable living" was something that I slowly had a better understanding and appreciation of.

The fundamentals of living was something that I learned to embrace once again in the week that I stayed there. Everything made sense to me.

garlic bed
Power and energy were all extracted from the sun and wind. Majority were 12Volts DC batteries that helped the community in a few gadgets for their daily consumption. Solar panels (mainly with 32 cells except I think for Gearheart's), were all setup in different locations. Inverters were also installed so some appliances can be charged from an AC source. I had an hour's session with Gearheart, just him explaining to me how he setup the Solar System in the Farm. Apparently, he'd be giving a talk in Winnipeg a week from now. All of these were introduced in the farm back in the 80's.

 Eventually they used this setup to pump water. Just a few feet below is pristine and drinkable water. I actually found it really amazing how a pipe system did not exist in the houses. Dishwashing was done by filling up a white round basin with water. Taps and sinks were not used at all. 2 buckets were filled with water on the side, 1 blue "fridge" bottle for drinking water and washing the hands and an empty bucket was always filled up with the dirty water. This was then emptied into the compost pile at the back of the house. I felt humbled by this setup because I am guilty of sometimes over using water when it's just flowing from the tap or from the shower. I knew they had unlimited supply of water. But for me, practicing water usage that way, was more of giving respect to Mother Nature's abundance.

 Another thing I couldn't get my eyes off was the big black wood stove, designed and made by the Amish.   Once the whole thing heats up, the whole house gets warm too. It's a multi purpose equipment for sure.
cow farm
There in the middle of the kitchen was this big black thing that for me was the center of almost everything in the house. Wood was essential to provide heat. Not just for cooking but for heating the house as well. This wood stove had a main slot, allowing wood, paper and air to combust. This then heats the whole panel above, allowing you to cook with your pots and even toast your bread on it. Another addition is a square container on the right side where hot water can be extracted, for washing dishes and for filling up your bucket in case you decide to have a "wash".

 Composting definitely played a major part in Dawn's garden. They don't use chemical fertilizer, instead the utilize the fundamentals of using compost items (like food scraps) and of course...manure. And this did not just involve cow manure but also human manure. And so this goes without saying that we dump our own body waste after a comforting session in the outhouse :) I learned the way of going back to water instead of a tissue roll. A toilet seat was installed in the outhouse and of course a bucket with dried leaves went along with it. Beside the outhouse was a huge wooden dump where we would throw our waste. Of course, anyone who uses the bucket should remember to fill it up with dried leaves before putting it back.

Showers were non-existent as far as I know. I would just fill up a bucket with warm water and go to the garden for a wash. Mitch would have his using the hose, right in front of the garlic beds. Dawn would have it just in front of the house. I found everything liberating. Nudity wasn't an issue at all and Dawn assured me there were no perverts :). She was aware that I was conscious washing naked in the hoop house. On my second time, it didn't bother me anymore. Momma, the cat was watching. And I'd normally do it at the end of the day around sunset.

 I quickly learned and adopted the ways in Dawn's farm. I would sleep to the sunset from the small window pane of my room. And of course wake up to the beautiful sunrise and chirping of the yellow finch birds. Before 8 am I'd usually get ready and slip into  my work clothes. Dawn would usually be downstairs having a sip of her morning tea. I would usually get 2 eggs ( from Gearheart's hens collection) for breakfast and toast a bread. Conversations about the day's tasks at hand would be exchanged and a few seconds of morning silence would be shared.


 The garden was all waiting for us. The hoop house already had the healthy bokchoy's and cabbage in place. Beds of garlic sprouting were all planted last fall, so harvesting will happen in 2 months from now.

Since Spring was on its way, the clock was ticking for seeding. We prepared the beds for peas, carrots, arugullas and onions. A hoop had to be installed for the peas to allow the vines to thrive up. Beds were a little bit tricky to prepare. Because of the recent winter, we had to reform them. It had to be weeded even the surrounding  frame. Then once Mitch has formed the shape, compost had to be added on top of it and then we had to shovel and mix it with the soil. Once all of that's done, Mitch would rake it and prepare rows for us to place the seeds. As for the seeds, we chose to plant them with our bare hands. Then put enough soil on top. I'd usually whisper , "babies grow ok". Dawn would usually say "Goodluck". After all o f these, Mitch would water the beds. It was something he really enjoyed doing most especially it was only till last fall that they've had pressurized water, thus using hoses. It was really handy. Imagine years ago, using watering cans was the way to go.
On my last night, I went up the wind turbine and watched the sunset. They were having a gathering for Candice's birthday but I decided to be on my own and walk around for the photos.

 The life in the farm grew on me. The 1 week I was there made me understand so much more but also, made me appreciate what Mother Earth can offer us, and how we should in turn learn to respect whatever it shares with us. The necessity of living is there, along side with coexisting …. With almost everything around us that grows and that lives. 

Postscript:
After a few months, I started writing a song as part of my Canada experience. Needless to say, the desire to include "Northern Sun" in my lyrics was something I deemed necessary. I started writing "Freeing My Mind" when I left Sarto, Manitoba. On my way to Toronto, whilst on the greyhound Bus and stopping in the middle of nowhere for coffee breaks in the wee hours of the morning, I'd sit outside the cafe and continued to build up the song. I eventually finished it in Montreal. And this was the outcome. (recorded in Quebec). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment