Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Skerwink & Port Rexton

I was supposed to stay for a night in Bonavista. I read through the tourist accommodation guide and found an HI Bonavista along John Cabot Road.
 
But... and yes there's a BUT.... the HI was a little bit freaky. I arrived there and nobody was tending the place. 2 mattresses were left on the stairway. A name tag was hanging beside the door saying welcome to the HI, my name is Donna. But there was no Donna on site.

I went back to the place several times but still found it the same as the first time I got there. After a few days, I learned Max and Pat found it in the same condition a day after I was there. freaky.
 
Skerwink HI - Port Rexton
(directions: Along route 230, take exit to Port Rexton. Turn right when you see the yellow building with a gas station. Follow the road and go past the sign Trinity East. On your right you'll see the blue building)
 
Skerwink HI  - Port Rexton
So moving on, I decided to drive back to Port Rexton where a new HI was put up. It was called the Skerwink Hostel. The couple Libby (from Aus) and David (from Canada) bought this a few years ago and decided to put up a hostel. The location was so cute as it felt like you're part of the community, and just right down the hill with a beautiful view out the lounge window or the kitchen door.
 
I found the whole interior to be funky rustic, with lots of personality. The hanging sign in the lounge was something they just found in the woods. Definitely meant for their interior :). The corridors were designed with hanging sketches of newfoundland. The hallway was kept clean and the rooms were all properly prepared.
the lounge
 
I got there around 8 pm and found them having a farewell dinner for Bridget (Libby's sister) and her friend Candice who were heading for St.John's the following day. Libby had a very cheerful and homey personality. She showed me to my room and asked that I joined them to have a glass of wine or perhaps dinner.
 
I slept like a baby that night. I honestly missed the comfort of a bed. I shared the room with a lady from Germany by the name of Utah.
She was there for a week and just relaxing in the confines of the beautiful Trinity East.
 
The following morning we had a long breakfast discussion in the kitchen. All the girls were in the dining table and different travel stories and explorations were shared. Marieke was also there, who co-owned the TwineLoft in Trinity Bay. I just loved the conversations :) It was indeed a good morning. Oh and I forgot to mention, I did some yoga exercises with Utah. I woke up to her standing in the middle of the dorm room, so I decided to join in :)
 
Skerwink Trail
  
The HI was also conveniently located near the well known Skerwink Trail. This trail was once included in the top 35 walks in North America and Europe as rated by Travel and leisure magazine back in 2003.
 
It was a moderate climb up the hills, and the whole trail takes almost 2 hours when done as a leisure walk. The whole stretch is a 5.3 km coastal loop walk with magnificent views.
 
I joined in with a guy named David, from Calgary. He definitely was on a leisure walk as he chatted most of the way. apparently he's been to so many countries already so shared some tips with me about his Europe and Morocco trips.
 
We slowly ascended the trail and found lovely views from certain side steps away from the trail. He seemed to have a knack for cliffs and edges. All I could say was "dont' fall".
 
on the other side of the cliffs was the incoming fog. It often times scares me but since I had company that day, it was all fine. We walked through until we got to the highest point above the fog. There sunshine was a blast and clear skies were blue. I found an edge to have my photo taken. I don't normally like photos of me, but this was one of those moments where I wanted one. :) coolio!
 
We finished the walk around 2 pm and went back to the hostel. For the next few hours I went out exploring Trinity Bay and Elliston.
 
Elliston is known to be the Puffin Site and also the location of Root Cellars. I squandered around trying to look for puffins but none could be seen on site. So I decided to head back to Trinity Bay.
 
I received a message from Max that they were camping out somewhere near Trinity.  I suggested they stay at the Skerwink HI, since they allowed campers at the backyard on top of the hill. They must have missed the turn to Port Rexton.
 
A few of Libby's and David's friends came over. I had a jam with the one in glasses who played awesome cajon beats. It was so much fun! We also talked about the history of Newfoundland and a little bit on geology. After a few beers, they headed out for a local party. I decided to stay and sleep in early.

No comments:

Post a Comment