Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Toronto Pearson intl Airport and saying goodbye to Canada

June 10. Monday morning. I woke up and found everyone downstairs. Ate Shellah was already gone for work, I felt bad not being able to see her and hug her goodbye.

there was breakfast on the table, longganisa..which I indulged in with of course vinegar. I felt like I could finish the whole serving of rice but I was able to get a hold of myself from the embarassment of eating too much. Kuya Yul joined me and we chatted for quite a while about the different things we've noticed about the fIlipino society. This was all triggered by my comments regarding the actors/actresses in the TFC soap opera we were watching. Of course, if I were to discuss it in this blog, I'd say it's more of my sentiments towards a few perceptions and practices back home....which I'd rather keep it to myself instead of writing it publicly.
 
I had my laundry done after breakfast and lingered for a while in the lounge with the Inay's and Googie. They asked me a few questions about what I've been doing and where I've been traveling. I guess it's not really typical for Filipinas to travel by themselves, let alone the fact that I've been doing this for a few months already. They were a little bit careful in asking me questions though, but I did tell them I didn't mind at all.
 
It was hilarious when after the laundry I realized my one and only jeans were already worn out. Holes appeared in the disguise of nothing more than a massive unpatchable ripped portion of the jeans....both sides. So, I decided to cut the lower portion out and convert it into jean shorts. Since I didn't have shorts, I thought that it was a good idea to have it at least I don't put it to waste. Setback? jeans are heavy to pack in the bag. But I didn't mind for a while.
 
Anyway, I had my last lunch...which was Sinigang na Salmon. YUM TO THE MAX! I can't even recall when was the last time I had Sinigang!!! I was sooo full when we had our meal. To made it worse, we had it with bagoong...eeek! That made me eat more....and have a bigger portion of rice. Okay...hey I'm allowed to :)
 
It was around 3 pm when Kuya Yul knocked at the door just to find me looking a little bit lost and my stuff on disarray around the room. I had too much stuff, too much bags.....and I was already feeling stressed about it. I rushed myself to finish and stuffed it all up. Around 3:15 pm we were all geared up, bound for the airport.
 
The weather wasn't on my side that day. The rain poured and there was traffic building up on the highway. I stared at the gray cloud thinking I was having the same feeling...gray..... not really wanting to leave CAnada yet. I felt like there was unfinished business for me.... but then I had to move on coz I had my flight to London booked already.
 
Kuya Yul parked at his work place and decided to accompany me to the airport and have myself sorted out. I think he thought I couldn't handle the number of bags I had. He said he felt like he was a backpacker too when he carried my big North Face one. Yeah, I'd know the feeling.. most especially when one is carrying that much of a load.
After checking in, Kuya Yul had a brilliant idea. To have my last coffee..... where else...but at Tim Horton's.. :) Perfect! :) He took a few photos for me and was so sweet to send me off with 2 Maple Donuts for the road. I talked to Ate Shellah on the phone and also said my goodbye. Hopefully one day I'll meet the whole family again.
 
He walked me to the line and hugged me goodbye. Then I was off.
 
I found myself a quiet spot away from my gate, and took out my guitar. Sang "Freein' My Mind" in Canada... for the last time....then boarded my plane. Greg was more excited than me that I was bound for Europe. I think everyone was.....except me.

 
That was the end of my Canada leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment