Saturday, June 29, 2013

Chillin' out with Mum @ Hampden Park East Sussex

Panoramic view of Eastbourne from the Downs
Mum was waiting at Hampden Park, East Sussex train station. At first I thought I missed my stop, apparently the train passes through Eastbourne first then comes back to Hampden Park. Not sure why though.

Sky (Cathy’s new Belgian Sheperd dog) was sitting silently by her side when I saw her. I hugged her and patted Sky. She was well behaved that time 

Mum’s place was just a few-minute walk from the station. She asked how I was doing and I said it’s been okay. She helped me carry 1 of my bags. Again, I think I looked crazy with the heaps of stuff I had. Well, to be perfectly honest, the weight has been crazy, but I didn’t mind “for a while”.

Mum, Cathy and Me
We passed by Cathy’s place and dropped off Sky, then walked to Mum’s. Mum’s house was so cute, a bungalow in barnham close. It was so homey and well kept, and I liked that there was a little portion of garden where she kept the roses, bell flowers and a few greeneries. There was a small parking shed on the side which Mum converted to storage space. Of course heaps of John’s boxes from Nigeria occupied much of it.
Mum's favourite thing to say to me was "Chill Out" to which I'd usually giggle to. She offered to prepare me a hot bath, but I said i'd just have it the following day. she showed me to my room and pointed out all of John's things, i.e. bags, books, wallets, brush and so on... (let's call it "abubot".. and I thought I was the only one? hmmm <with one eyebrow up>)

I'd say Mum made me fat for the days I was there. She'd made sure food was always on the table when I woke up and at night, we'd sometimes have hot choco with marshmallow. So many times I didn't want to give in to the temptation but she seemed really good with convincing. Oh yes, I did feel like I've gained back the weight.
For a girl bonding, we accompanied Cathy take Sky for a walk at the Downs. It was a little bit windy up there, but it had a lovely view of Eastbourne. Cathy explained a few things to me about training Sky, young and only 10-months old. She said there's no possibility of having her house puppy proof, so training was essential or else Sky would cause havoc in her place and Mum's as well. It was really hilarious when Mum rolled her eyes and said "Why didn't you ever try to get a poodle instead?". I just laughed.

After that, we went for late lunch at Yew Inn in Arlington. The servings were massive and Mum was struggling. But definitely the food was yummy and the dessert were to die for. Apparently the place is well known for it's pudding as well. Mum just watched us struggle through the sweet desserts we ordered.

hot choco with melting mallows
I really liked the moments when I'd just listen to the ticking of the clock in Mum's kitchen, as we waited for the kettle to heat up for our morning tea. Her table was good for 2 people, and so we'd usually hang out there while talking over breakfast.

I went with her on the Sunday, to hear mass at her local church St. Peter's. I met a few friends of hers and exchanged a short discussion with one of the local guys after service. I bought a birthday card too so I can send for Mommy's birthday.

I had her listen to my new song about Canada, and I also showed her photos of my trip. Along with that were the stories behind the people I've met and the adventures I've had on the road. Of course these were all while we sipped on our hot choco drinks.

She also introduced me to the soap opera the East End, which she would usually follow... 3x a week. There were a few more series that we watched on TV which were intriguing. one of which were people who were looking for family members they haven't seen, i.e. orphan from birth.

On my second to last day, we had morning tea with her friend Marjorie, who was her neighbor years ago. It was so cute coz it was a typical English thing, with the trays, the cups and the setting. I wished I could have the same accent too while sipping my coffee. We talked about the local news and gossips around the neighborhood.

I had to go to Eastbourne and settle my prescription glasses at Specsavers, then passed by the Central library to do my research in preparation for the next destination. I passed by Tesco on my way back, bought me some groceries coz I told Mum I'd cook dinner for her.

Mum said she liked it. I prepared her pineapple chicken with steamed broccoli. I might have put much serving though coz I had to help her finish the broccoli. But she seemed to be happy about the flavours I've put, so that could be a good sign.

Around 8, Cathy knocked and hugged me goodbye. She's been busy at work, pretty full on and also busy getting back home and taking care of Sky. It's always funny listening to her and Mum talk.

By Tuesday, I packed my stuff although struggling and undecided. Mum and I walked Sky in the Hydneye Park and went back for a quick lunch. Then she walked me to the train station and made sure I bought the right ticket.

I hugged her goodbye and said i'll be back. She was waving through the train door as she held on to Sky.
As Mum said, "You're back on the road".

No comments:

Post a Comment