Monday, April 23, 2018

Sultanahmet - Part II

Basilica Cistern
I quickly found my way through Sultanahmet square. The clouds still lingered around. The Basilica Cistern was just across Hagia Sofia. The line wasnt that long to my delight. The entry fee was 20 Liras and as far as I remember wasnt included in the Museum Pass.

The cistern was built in the 6th century and served as a water filtration system for the Palace of Constantinople and even provided water to Topkapi Palace in 1453. This is the largest in Istanbul. 

The walk down the stairs gave a top view of the Cistern. I was glad I decided to change footwear. The floors were slippery for my old worn out shoes. Yes, mention of shoewear has been important for me. Later on to be more realized on my Cappadocia trip. 

It was dark and dim lights served as guide through the corridor elevated from the actual ground. Selfie sticks kept on hitting my head. I womder if that was an indication of my height or worse,  my seemingly non- existence. I just let them be. At the corner, a small setup for costume photography served as the booth for people who wanted to wear Turkish traditional clothing. I passed through the crowd and followed the viewing platform.

It was impressive that part of the cistern still remained, a structure that was dated back from Emperor Justinian I. There was still evidence of water although I wasnt sure if ot was clean enough. There were sections with displays, which I read through. Towards the middle of the cistern was a sort of wishing area were shimmering from the water below. 

The columns of Medusa were quite interesting. Greek mythology back when we were young told stories of this woman with snake hair that turned people to stone. The face was noticeable at the base. It was creepy staring at her hollowed eyes..wondering where all of these myths originate from. 

I fimished the walk in less than an hour. Walking up for fresh air as I exited the cistern, led me to the tramline close to Topkapi Palace. 

Surrounds of Topkapi

The Topkapi Palace (Cannon Gate) was built during the 15th century Ottomans reign. It served as the home of Sultans during their regime and also location for admin offices. It was added to the UNESCO Heritage list in 1985. This now serves as a museum. 

I didnt opt for going inside, instead I just walked around the park. I was timing my afternoon, leaving enough hours to explore Beyoglu, in the Asian side. 

The tulips were lovely, ordained around the park. Being a Sunday, families and tourists alike walked along the pathway, where trees and carpets of tulips added beautiful colours to a grey and cloudy day. 

I eventually found the side street to Galata Bridge. It was raining cats and dogs. I was ready for the Asia side of Turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment