Thursday, April 26, 2018

A Special Sunday in Beyoģlu, Istanbul


One of my main goals going to that side of the city was to attend Sunday service in a Catholic Church. Research showed that all the churches were on the Beyoglu side. And I made a promise that despite the distance, I would still make sure I made it.

S6shot - Basilica of Saint Anthony of Padua
It was still early so I thought of visiting 2 Catholic Churches then choose which one Id feel more at home with for Service. 1 had a 7pm mass in English, the other in Spanish. I didnt mind either. As much as I had a certain level of fear due to the terrorist attacks, I knew in my heart this was something I wanted to do.

I visited Church of Saint Mary Dreperis first. Simple and a few steps below the main street, it is known to be one of the oldest Roman Catholic Churches in Istanbul dating back to tbe 15th century. It was protected with high gates which were wrapped with layers of barb wires but the gate itself was artsy. The congregation was of Franciscana Friars who fled to Galata during Ottomans reign. It was Clara Maria Draperis, a Letvinian, who offered them a house with a tiny chapel. 

The steep descent offered views of the neoclassical architecture. There were a few people who visited to my surprise. I didnt realize tourists would be interested in a Catholic Church in Istanbul. The interior was simple, not too lavish for my liking. It was quaint for a church but gave out this homey amd welcoming feel. We werent allowed to approach the altar, so I just sat at the back and said my prayers. All in gratitude that everything was going smoothly. 

The next was the Basilica of Saint Anthony of Padua, which was built in the 19th century but holds the most church goers in Istanbul. It is currently managed and maintained by Italian priests and was design with a Venetian Neo-Gothic style.

I entered the church and observed the interiors. Ive always loved either Neo-Classical or Neo-Gothic style. Although I usually tend to lean more on anything Gothic. There were more tourists this time. Clicks of cameras and whispers. The size was bigger than St.Mary Dreperis. I didnt linger long. I did start reading the informative boards they displayed along the entrance, but decided to walk more. 

S6shot - some of the alleys
I decided to wait for the 6:30 mass at Saint Mary Dreperis. The energy there was more homey and simple. It was just 4 pm.

As I got out of the Basiclica, a bookstore caught my eye. It was modern looking and had a few books in English. I chose between a fiction book written by the famous Turkish author Orhan Pamuk and one that was more contemporary written by a lady Alex Scott who was born and raised in the UK and half Turkish. I chose the latter since it was about the perspective of someone going back to Turkey to learn her roots.

I happily bought the book and chose a cafe to kill time. I forgot the name of the cafe but it looked fancy from the outside, with posh looking people having their afternoon tea. I chose the corner where nobody knew I existed. I had my fig tree fudge with ice cream and a cup of tea. I started reading the book, Turkey Uprising. By 6 pm I decided to head down to Saint Mary Dreperis. I sat in silence at the 2nd to last pew. A latin-americana, seemed 19 to early 20's was seated behind me...sounded like he was either sniffling or crying. I wanted to give him a tissue but thought it rude to disturb his moment. 

Apparently, that evening was going to be a special one. A lady was to be baptized and confirmed into the Roman Catholic religion. And they also renewed wedding vows, now having it done with a Catholic priets. I got invited to seat with 3 Filipina women who were living in Istanbul. They were really friendly and welcoming. The mass was in Spanish but we were also given English missalettes so we can translate. There were 2 priests. Before it began, both were welcoming people in. I talked to the one who looked Spanish and had a warm and pleasant face. I asked him if he was one of the local priests there, and he answered that he wad sort of a priest. I wondered about his response. By the time the service started, I saw him wearing a Bishops head piece. I was so embarassed!!! I later on found out he was Father Ruben Tierrablanca Gonzalez, appointed Apostolic Vicar of Istanbul by the Holy Father.

There were a few more people who were seated at the back. They found it interesting how we do the Baptismal rites. It was such an intimate and lovely ceremony. I watcbed the lady wipe her tears, as we all walked behind her towards the altar. 

They invited me to join them for a simple tea, but I politely declined. I had to head back to the hotel since I said Ill try the restaurant they suggested. Walking back would take me 1.5 hours so I knew that Id had to go and take the train. Another challenge. LoL. 

I said goodbye and went on my way. I felt so blessed to have been part of the ceremony whilst in Turkey. 

I thought the night was over from all the spontaneous surprises, but apparently it wasnt over. Other than taking public transport and the adrenalin I had... just when I thought my day couldnt get any better.... the rest of the night was going to be another memorable one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment