Sunday, April 22, 2018

Merhaba (Hello) Istanbul


We landed at Sabiha Gocken International airport at 1 pm. We were on the Asian side of Turkey. 

I wasnt sure what to expect really. Reviews and writeups all raved about how stunning Istanbul was. But feedback about taxi drivers seemed to be consistent. I just hoped my first encounter would be a good one. 

Emre couldnt speak much English but we managed to understand each other. I made sure I knew where the taxi meter was and watched it like a hawk. I was impressed with his driving skills whilst setting up google maps. I slowly eased up when he showed me the route and the travel time. 

The surrounds gave me the impression of growth. A lot of constructions were underway. Lush green meadows gave signs of early Spring. But I could still feel the cold. 

Emre was speeding at 120 kph and without his seat belt on... I was loving the speed...but not the instant breaks. Ive been warned about Istanbul driving. I just didnt know how it was compared to Manila.

As we approached the Old City, Sultanahmet.. i smiled. I could see the usual hustle and bustle of the city scapes. We passed through Galata Bridge.
S6 shot - Galata Bridge fishermen
I was mesmerized by the number of men with fishing rods. Emre tried to explain to me it was a Saturday. Not really the best time to drive around, so best to walk or tram it. Yes, we kind of understood each other. I had a pre downloaded app to learn a few Turkish words. And we agreed that Cumartesi (Saturdays) means traffic. He was happy when i learned how to count from 1 to 10 in Turkish. 

S6 shot - old city wall ruins
He dropped me off after an hour and a half. That was 200 Tliras. I reckon it was fair. Besides, it was traffic. That was inclusive of a 25 TL tip. 

I was received warmly by the front desk of Sultanahmet Inn Hotel (Akburçak Sk). He carried my bag to the 4th floor and I settled in. I was dead tired. But it was just 3 pm. I looked out of the window and could see the Küçük Ayasofya (little hagia sofia). I went up the rooftop and gazed around, sussed out the  surrounds. 

I unpacked a few things and decided to beat the jetlag by exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment