Sunday, April 22, 2018

My First Night in Istanbul


I went out around sunset time. I could hear prayers from the mosque (camii). Famished and weak, I was craving for proper food. Airplane meals never really gave me comfort.

I walked along Small Ayasofya street and savoured the chill air. The traffic was still
S6shot- Hagia Sofia
chaotic and honking horns still filled the air. I found the closest Restaurant and had early dinner there. I was taken to the rooftop where there were views. The guy asked my background and kissed my hand. Years ago Id be flattered. Now adays those moves just wouldnt work for me. I happily finished my steak in the silence of the setting Istanbul sun. The guy was trying to offer me a massage under the stars. I wondered if that was the typical line if they saw a solo female traveler. I politely smiled and declined. The chill of the night was slowly creeping in. 

S6shot- Arasta Bazaar
I found myself walking through the Arasta Bazaar, a collection of spices, clothing, jewelery and various Turkish items. The stone cobbled alley was adorned with etched stones that ordained the drainage system. Artsy, I must say. 

Towards Sultanahmet square, the towering Blue Mosque towered from a distance. Ive seen a couple of photos online, showcasing the beauty of artistry inside. I walked around the perimeter and observed the crowd. Lots of locals and tourists were admiring the facade as much as I was. The blooming tulips added a stunning contrast to the gray backdrop. 

Unfortunately, the mosque was closed for refurbishing. Yet to be opened on the 15th
of May. Just my luck. Lol. I walked around the washing area instead. Still a functioning mosque, the once constructed Sultan Ahmet mosque still offered a lot even from outside. 

I continued on and found myself across the Square and staring at Hagia Sofia from a distance. I admit I wasnt that much impressed by the architecture looking from the outside. But I was well aware of the history... yet to be discovered and explored the following day. 

The jetlag was slowly creeping in and my cramps was starting to bother me. I dedcided to head back to the Hotel. 
On the way, a small unnoticeable cafe caught my eye. Its always those small local
S6shot- Baho of Turkish Street Cafe
And his street art
places that I go for. The Turkish Street Cafe along Gelinik Sokagi was owned by Baho.
S6shot- Black Tea
I sat inside and appreciated the hanging shisha pipes as I sipped my black Turkish tea. As you know, Turkey holds the record of the most tea consuming country. Baho gave me free Turkish delight and asked me where I was from. Street art across his cafe was his own work of art, as he explained. I took a photo and told him ill be back. 

I took a hot shower, planned for thr next day and got lullabied by the last prayers from the nearby mosque.

No comments:

Post a Comment