Thursday, April 26, 2018

Exploring Galata & Beyoglu

Crossing the streets reminded me of back home, i.e. Manila. It was still tame
S6shot- Fruit stalls
compared to Vietnam and Egypt. Pedestrian crossings were non existent despite the clear streak of white lines on the road. I later on realized that I was following some locals, who were making their own crossing path. Wrong move. 

The Galata Tower was built in the 13th Century which provided views of the Golden Horn and other side of Istanbul. It was apparently as the Tower of Christ during Constantinople days. Later on it served as a viewing vantage point to identify fires during the Ottoman regime.

S6shot- Karakoy side street
I reached Karakoy and chose the path steep enough to make me huff and puff. Going up a flight of stone stairs along Haci Ali Sokak that had small souvenir shops and quaint cafes on the side was a cute site to see. I stopped at one of them and bought 2 postcards. The line going up the Galata Tower was long enough to put me off. I figured photos of it was better from a distance. So I decided to explore the surrounds and head towards the direction of Taksim square. 

Along the way I stopped at one of the shops. It was on my list to pick up some Turkish towels. I was fully aware it was something I could easily buy in Sydney or anywhere else outside Turkey. But there was something more authentic with buying it from its origins. 100% percent cotton, exactly my thing. We discussed the weight and I figured that the weight should still be manageable. I bought a big one for me, light blue, good for a sofa. Then 2 red and white small ones, for both Mom and Rosie. 

The streets were so busy. The shops were a collection of clothing, music, cafes, fruits, towels  jewelry and all other items that were eye candy for shopping. I tried to escape temptation. Various fruit stalls lined up along the streets, offering a range of orange, pineapple and promeganate juice. The latter which I found out was something typical in Tur

The streets slowly got wider and the shops were more Western when I got to
Protesters
Independence Avenue. As I reached the end of the small alleyway, a group of people were shouting something I didnt understand. Banners for the demonsration were afloat and police trucks with armed men surrounded the group. I later on learned that these were the plant owners of sugar plantations, asking the government of Erdogan to stop his plans of selling. It quite scared me seeing a brigade of police, knowing the street I was on was leading to Taksim Square, where both peaceful but also riot filled demonstrations took place. I stopped for a while and allowed the group pass by. 

Buskers
Local buskers found their spots in each of the corners of the main shopping strip. One with girls playing the violin and on the other side, a group of 3 men singing Turkish songs with a guitar. How I wished I understood what they were singing.

I continued on.

No comments:

Post a Comment