Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Crossing Galata Bridge

S6shot- Europe side view from bridge
Sinker caught in the wire
The clouds were dramatic, as it poured rain over the Golden Horn. I survived crossing the street and walking towards the ferry ports. Before the trip, I was considering catching the ferry but the weather wasnt on my side this time. The hours spent crossing the bridge was one of my memorable moments in Istanbul.

The Galata Bridge was supposed to be designed by Leonardo Da Vinci during the Ottoman reign. But what he produced didnt satisfy Sultan Bayezid II. Another great artist, Michelangelo waz requested to design a bridge over the Golden Horn but he declined. It was only by 1994 that the current one was built. A location to bridge Karakoy and Eminonu.

I reached Eminonu Kadikoy Iskelesi and watched the fishermen from afar...them seriously watching if their rods showed signs of a twitch.. catch of the day. With the rain drenching me wet, I decided to follow the path under the bridge. 

Numerous restaurants offering seafood menus were enticing. Heaps of tour groups
S6shot- Galata Tower and Bridge, view from Eminonu
were booked as I peeked from the outside. It was already 2 pm and I started feeling my stomach growl. For the past few months, my craving for seafood has took reign of my palette. This was the right place to have lunch. At some point, I found myself laughing when the line of a fisherman went straight for the wire below, with its sinker wrapping around it..instead of hitting the water. After a few minutes, the owner was unknotting it. I almost told him how to throw a line properly.

A small alley way showed me a different view from the bridge. I quickly walked through and found that this side showed a better panoramic view of both the European and Asian side of Turkey. The wind was blowing and my nonwater proof jacket was getting wet. It was hard to take a photo from where I stood.

S6shot- Wooden
Handler
I chose one of the corner seafood restaurants with less people, called Ab-I Hayat. A family and 2 couples were the only ones inside. The owner ushered me to the corner, with the whole table to myself but with beautiful views of the colorful ferry boats. I looked at the menu and salivated with the fish options. The names were all familiar ranging from sea brim, sea bass, sardines, trout, etc. I researched a few things before deciding which one to go for. I ended up choosing sea bass. One of our favourites back in NZ. 

I quietly had my lunch and couldnt help give a happy sigh. It all felt right. I was where I was supposed to be. I know I always appreciate places I go to. But there are times when my senses amd emotions are heightened. Its been a while since Ive traveled by myself. And the timing of this one was just perfect. It was time to revisit Me. Enough of the dramas of the year that was.

The sea bass was lovely. Fresh and juicy inside out. I didnt eat any bread, something I have taken out of my diet for quite some time now. I ate the fish to the bone... thinking my sisters would have loved it. 

The restaurant slowly became smokey. Groups of men smoking their shisha pipes surrounded me. Smoking shisha inside pubs and restos was allowed around Turkey. But signs of No Smoking were abundant around. I found it ironic. 

The rain mellowed down. I headed upstairs and quickly chatted with some of the fishermen. It was interesting how they handled multiple rods. There were handmade wooden holders to keep them stable whilst the owner walked around. I took a few photos and headed to Galata tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment