Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Singapore

It was 7 years ago when I last saw Singapore. It was a strange feeling when we landed at Changi airport. I lived in Singapore for 8 months before I decided to move to New Zealand. Ever since then, I've never set foot until October 2013. 

One of the things I've been really impressed with was the convenience of the transportation system in Singapore. I guess for a small and advanced country, you would expect nothing short of that. 

I initially stayed in a hostel, curious of how it was to be a backpacker in Singapore. I met a guy from France who was kind enough to lend me his umbrella. Other than that, I didn't get to chat with anyone else since I've been in and out of the place catching up with friends. 

I met up with Diovie, a long time friend back in the days when I was living in Singapore. Also an ex-accenture, we met through common friends and just clicked. A few years back she visited me in New Zealand. Us girls went on a road trip and explored a few areas of the North Island. It was an unforgettable adventure. And despite our distance, we've always managed to keep in touch. As they say distance shouldn't be a hindrance. She showed me around, pointing out the new buildings and tourist spots. It was amazing how Singapore could change since the past 7 years. The place has been an ex-spat destination and parties/pubs seemed to have increased. It was great catching up with her, getting updated with the latest buzz in each others lives and just chatting and laughing away. She took me to the rooftop bars that gave us splendid views of Marina Bay and surroundings. 

I also had the chance to catch up with Jay, another ex-accenture who I met through common friends whilst living in Singapore. Also into diving and photography, we shared a lot of common interests and started chatting towards the end of my work stint in Singapore. We've always kept in touch ever since.

I eventually moved to Foy's place and finally got the chance to catch up with her. It was so nice to see her settled and cuddling her baby. Foy has been one of my closest friends who I met when I lived in Singapore. Since then the friendship flourished despite the distance. Then after a few years she visited me in New Zealand. That was the inspiration of my song "Joyride. Beth, Foy and I went on a road trip in the North island of New Zealand. And that was one of the best trips I've ever been on. Oh yeah!

It was really nice to have a lot of moments with Foy, just talking in the lounge and getting updated with each other's lives. I was so happy seeing her in that state. Years ago I knew she wanted to have a family of her own, and at that moment when we were sitting on the couch, I saw how fulfilled she was.. holding on to her baby. <sigh> How time flies.

The main reason why I passed by Singapore was to attend my God child's 1st Birthday. Sherry and Ramil had their first baby a few months ago. His name... Lucas. The time I heard about the good news of the addition to the family.... I felt so happy for them. A dream come true. A wish granted. A Prayer answered.

It was a Sunday event and it was sort of a reunion seeing the people who I knew back in the days and got used to hanging out back in the Singapore days. The event was at a Japanese Restaurant was a buffet lunch. I got to see Joy a few seconds before she had to leave for work. Her 2 kids were lovely most especially Jessica, the eldest one. Mary Ann was also there with her family. She was my previous housemate back in the days when Gab and I lived in Singapore. Apo, Rex Ken and Ryan were the other familiar faces that I saw. They were with the new group of Citibank programmers/team. It was great seeing everyone and how warm I was still received despite the years.

I had a short opportunity to catch up with Sherry and Ramil, as well as Baby Lucas, after the lunch. Malvin and Foy dropped us at the Escalante house and I stayed for a while to witness the gift opening and take some photos. It was really nice hanging out with them and watching them, complete as a family. Lucas was so active and excited about his gifts. So cute.

I only had 5 days in Singapore, and I knew there wasn't enough time to catch up with everyone. But it was good that I still had the chance to meet up with Paulette at the airport. Now, Paulette was one of my classmates back in high school. I can't even remember when was the last time I saw her. I took up Engineering and she took up Fine Arts, both in the same building. It must have been back in college days when I last saw her for sure.

We had a meal before I got on my flight. She still had her sense of humour, sarcastic jokes and funny life story to tell me for all the years that I haven't seen her. We just laughed all afternoon until I almost missed my flight. Hilarious! We even took the time to have coffee before I quickly ran through immigration and security. Crazy!

The visit was short but sweet. I had an inkling of trying to get back to Singapore and work there, the proximity to the Philippines was tempting. But the opportunity didn't present itself. So it was a no.

No comments:

Post a Comment