Friday, January 10, 2014

Catching up with Friends

I was sick the first week I got home. Dad said it was my pumpin' adrenalin crashed down and now my body was trying to rest....well, beg for rest. I figured that was the case. 

Crooks and Copps and the craziness that goes with that

Of course, my visit wouldn't be complete if I didn't catch up with my long time high-school friends.  The Crooks and Copps were formed back 1991's. Crooks was for us girls and Copps were for the boys. Back then it wasn't co-ed. Girls and Boys weren't mixed in one room. Socializing with the opposite sex only happened outside the classroom. 

Mylin lived close to our house, and of course, that didn't stop her and John (her husband and an old friend of mine) to pass by late at night. The usual. Instead of me getting annoyed, I couldn't help but smile and of course know in my heart that I missed them. of course they were my first visitor, besides Jing, who would always be updated of my where abouts. 

I called for a girls dinner at the house, just wanting for a moment with them, just like the good old days. I was glad that Love, in the last minute, joined us for dinner along with her husband Gerry, a former classmate of mine and good friend as well. 

The girls bought me a welcome home cake. I didn't expect it, and found it really sweet. Mom cooked a few Filipino dishes and us girls just caught up while the kids played in the lounge area. I finally saw Jeez's son, Basti... after so many years. Jeez, another long time good friend of mine that goes way back College days. 

It was hilarious when we went out and tried hiding from the CCTV, just like the old days when they'd try to get me to go with them on late night activities. Crazy but I missed them a lot.

TEJ

TEJ stands for Thomasian Engineer Journal. And that was my family when I was in Uni days, back when I wasn't really a fun of studying...rather, I found solace in the confines of the organization, which we would usually call our TEJ Family.

It was so nice to catch up with Arjay and Kit, and I also had the chance to meet Kit's cousin Sooey who was such a lovely and talented girl.We hang out at Glorietta...the good ol' Glorietta... it was nostalgic going back to the area. It held so many memories back to the Accenture days, when I was still working in Makati area.

We shared a lot of laughs and philosophical topics. Travel was of course part of the sharing and updates. The girls also loved traveling and exploration. I was telling them that the next time I visit the Philippines, it would be great if they can tag along.

The Dudettes

Next stop was catching up at Ortigas. The Dudettes. To be precise, the SVI Dudettes :) Maeth, Cezy, Joyce
and Anne (who was absent that time because she was onshore for an assignment).

The usual meetup place has always been Starbucks podium. No other place to be and meetup. It again brought back so many memories.... SVI or Software Ventures International, was the first company I worked with. That jump started my career as a Programmer. And during the training sessions, that was when I met the girls. Of course Cezy and Annie I already knew back in College Days at UST. 

It was great updating each other. I slowly got an idea of what was the latest, of course including the latest juicy gossip. It would have been great if Anne was there, I could imagine the giggles and laughter. I updated them with my latest trip and them as well did some trips past years I've been away. It was good to see them and just chat and laugh about old stuff.

Ex-Accenture 

The next catchup was with Reg and Mitch. Now, Reg and I goes way back Accenture days when we were with one of the projects where staying till late at night was always part of the daily routine. There were nights when we'd usually have to stay till 1 am, and we'd just usually laugh about stuff knowing that deadlines can be inevitable but having good times was the most important lot of all. It was great seeing her, all blooming and of course now, a Manager with Accenture.  

Mitch I met also during my last stint in Accenture, when I resigned and was wrapping up for my move to Singapore. We didn't get to chat that much, if I recall right, but my memories of Mitch were far beyond Accenture days. We got to hang out when I visited Brussels. And that was when we had the chance to really talk and explore the city together. Mitch has been of great company and help to me, something I'd always treasure and appreciate.

We had dinner at Shangri-La. Its been a while since I've been to that mall. It made me reminisce back in the days when I'd usually be on second shift when I was working for SVI. Those marked my first few years of being a programmer. Of course, I got to be updated with all of the latest goss and also of the latest love updates. We just giggled through the night which was fun.

Catching up with the Garcias

I just realized I didn't have a photo. But I guess it didn't matter. The memories always leaves me with a lasting impression.

Keith has been a friend way back highschool days. And Kikay, his better half, has been part of the family, the barkada. The kids Kin and Kian were so lovely, so huggable and so sweet. It was my first time to actually see them in person. Moment that I've laid my eyes on them were just via skype, when Keith would have me go on video calls so the kids would recognize my voice.

So it's been tradition now that I'd visit the family in the morning, and have breakfast. so cute. And I've agreed that I'd do this again, the next time I visit. :)

My Farewell Dinner

Faster than I said my hellow, I had to organize a farewell dinner with the Crooks, Copps and Freaks. It was great seeing the bunch, most especially those who I've rarely seen through the years even when I was still back in the Philippines.I was smiling while I watched the parents look after their kids. Yes, we have reached that stage. Thing have changed. But one thing's for sure, the friendship still remains...

No comments:

Post a Comment