Thursday, November 28, 2013

Ostia Antica

The amphiteatre
I woke up the following day more pumped up. I was very much looking forward to Ostia Antica (http://www.ostia-antica.org/), 30 kilometers from Rome. Great! I knew I'd have the site to myself, well at least, have some moments where I can walk around and absorb everything around me. 

Ostia (mouth) Antica was Rome's seaport and they've said it might have been where the first colony of Rome once stood. The oldest find dates back to 4 BC. It was amazing to read that as early as 68 BC pirates were already active in the market of sacking what seems to be a good source of resources. Come to think of it, I couldn't imagine that during those centuries, there were already people who were cruel enough to savage other places. 

The port was set on fire, the consular fleet diminished and two senators were kidnapped. Pompey the Great then suggested to start the law Lex Gabinia which allowed him to raise an army and destroy the pirates. By the 2nd century it got filled with 50,000 inhabitants.

Although it was far away, I didn't actually find it a hassle. I walked again to my favourite transpo place to be, The Termini station. From there I took Metro B heading for Laurentina. I got off at the Piramide Station and transferred to the Ostia Lido Train. After a long travel, I got off at Ostia Antica stop. From there I found it easy to find my way because there were signs pointing to the site. It was a little bit of a walk but I found it relaxing because of the cool ocean breeze coming in. 

I paid the entrance fee and started my way through the site. That was when I realized how massive the whole town was. The stretch of debris, left over buildings.... it was great and I could imagine how the society could have had thrived in such a place. 

There was even a building there that served a pub. it was really cute as I sat down there for a while imagining Romans in their white robes and using the place to commune and share stories. There were also portions where intricate artistry on the floors existed. 

I enjoyed that day so much. Obviously I spent the whole day there allowing my feet to drag me anywhere I can go through, small arches, grassfields, around statues. It was amazing. 

I'd highly recommend visiting this place if you pass by Rome. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment