Friday, November 29, 2013

Maybe it wasn't that Personal, but I was Up Close Enough

Wednesday. It was a Wednesday. The day I've waited for. The Papal Audience.

I thought I woke up early enough but when I got to St. Peter's Square, I realized 8:30 was Sooo LATE. The crowd was chaotic, no line visible at all and everyone had a yellow paper in their hand. So much for planning. We were all there for the Papal Audience. 

I squeezed through, happy that I was by myself and so it was easier for me to slip through crevices in the crowd. I knew they wouldn't mind one person getting ahead or joining their queue. I eventually was lucky to get close to the arches of the Square. 

My determination paid off more than expected. I met an Italian lady in the crowd who could speak Tagalog and Spanish. I was surprised when she told me in my language to talk to her in Tagalog. Apparently she lived in the Philippines for 20 years. I then learned that she was a Nun accompanying her nephew who was a seminarian. He was rather shy and didn't speak much English, but friendly enough to make me feel comfortable with the idea of joining them for the morning. 

We found a place right in front of the second fence, a little bit far away from the stage but right in front of the
pathway where the Pope was to parade. Perfect spot. Plus, we had the 2 big screens on both sides, so we wouldn't really miss out on anything.

I sat there amazed by the vibe of everyone's excitement as we looked at our watches, awaiting the time when we'd see him pass by. It was the last Papal Audience for the month and also for the summer season. Winter Papal Audience were to be attended in the Basilica due to the weather conditions. 

I listened to the crowd and all of the different languages exchanged. Flags from different countries were flapping against the wind. The weather was on our side and everyone was happy. The emcee called out congregations who were there to visit the Pope. For each country that was called, the people cheered and waved the flag. I smiled and tried to capture the moment. 

Time ticked away and there he was, Pope Francis from Argentina parading through. He waved at the people and gave blessings to the babies who Mothers willingly reached out. As he approached our area, that was when I realized the people around us were all from Argentina. I felt tears welling up because of the rush of emotions. How I wish Mom was there, she would have been so happy. I texted my family and close friends that I was just 4-5 steps away from the Pope. I was so happy. 

He gave his speech in Latin which was eventually translated to several languages. I was happy too that the Nun beside me was trying her best to translate it to me without missing out on absorbing the Pope's speech. i just couldn't believe I was there at that very moment.

After the speech, I said goodbye to the Nun and her nephew. I was on a mission. I wanted to get up to the domes of the Basilica. And so, because of the wave of people wanting to exit the Square, I decided to jump over the fences to avoid them. The first effort was about to go disastrous until someone pulled me right on time to get my balance right. From there, I got the right strategy until I found myself at the steps of the Basilica. perfect! 

It was a little bit of a wait, but I eventually got there. i was really lucky that day, I got a discount to use the lift. :) So I found my way there, second person for the afternoon. Yehey! I didn't realize that there were more steps as you get out of the lift. But it was all well worth it. From there was the stunning top view of St.Peter's Square. Perfect way to end my eventful day in Rome! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment