Wednesday, October 16, 2013

a Sunday in Rome

I had 1 whole week in Rome. But my first few days were wasted on resting in the hostel. My first attempt to explore the city was a failure, my knees were weak and shaking and flu symptoms took me down until the onset of fever pushed me to stay in bed. I wasn't really sure what started it. All I could remember before I left London was an itchy throat and from there my temperature just went up so quick. 

I forced myself to get up and go for the 10am mass at the Vatican. That was top priority. It was just 1 metro ride from Termini Station, getting off at Ottaviano "San Pietro". I walked for a few blocks until I found the arches. There as I walked through the entrance, was the grandeur of the Vatican City. The square was packed with chairs to accommodate people who attended the Wednesday Papal Audience in summer.
Pope John Paul II Tomb

I realized I didn't have much recollection of the place. Photographs of the family's first visit during the early 80's were the only reminders of our tour. I was only 3 years old then, Dad carrying me on his shoulders. My sisters were old enough to wander around. Mom always said that Rome was my favourite place. Dad said it was only because that was the first city we visited. 

The gray clouds were already forming when I got there. The forecast was looking bad, but I was happy that I got there with no signs of rain yet. I quickly found the Swiss Guards at the Bronze doors right after security check point. One of the guards kindly handed out a yellow slip that was my entry for the Papal Audience the following Wednesday. (For more >> Papal Audience Info)

The mass was starting when I entered St. Peters Basilica. There was a guard at the end of the corridor, permitting only those who were interested to attend sunday service to enter the area close to the altar. We weren't allowed to take photos during the mass, which was good because some of the places in Europe that I've visited didn't care if people were roaming around with cameras flashing despite an on going service.

The whole service was in Latin. Of course that goes without saying that I didn't understand a word they said. There was a choir of what seemed to be highschool boys wearing red robes. The chanting was lovely to the ear, echoing around... I loved it. There was a procession of the bishops exiting as the service ended. I couldn't get a clear shot coz they were all walking so fast and the security guy was ushering me away. Each bishop wore a particular style of head gear or what they call a "mitre". On my way out, I found Pope John Paul II's tomb. I visited and stopped for a while to pay my respects.

The rain was pouring when I got out of the Basilica. To my dismay the whole square was packed with hundreds of people waiting for the Pope. Apparently, he comes out of the 2nd window of the apartment to lead the Angels prayer at noon. Whenever he is around he would do this every Sunday. It was amazing to see the devotion of the crowd. Despite the intense down pour they were still patiently waiting for the clock to hit 12.

Now at some point  I was telling myself it was crazy of me to be so cheap, not wanting to buy a raincoat
from the guy passing by... I was thinking it was a rip off to be paying 5 Euros. But seriously? Jowe? With the flu and all? I ended up buying one. Duh.

From the side of the arches I listened to the Pope pray the Angelus and say a short speech to his followers. A whole bunch of Argentinians cheered. I noticed a group of nuns from the Philippines, silently listening under the shelter of their black umbrellas.

I found my way back to the Metro, feeling weak. I was happy to have witnessed the event and was looking forward to the Wednesday Papal Audience. I got back to the hostel to a new 3-bed dorm and 2 new roomies. Yehsle from South Korea and a guy from Argentina.

I called it a night and snuggled under the warmth of the sheets. I had to make a pass on their night out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment