Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Catching Up with family and friends in London

Catching up with my Cuz's

I got back in London and went straight to my cousin's place, Ate Dez. It was a strange feeling, knowing I was going back to where I started on my Europe trip. Arriving at her apartment was the confirmation that I've finished the Europe leg....though I didn't feel like I wanted to end there. 

with Ate Dez
We talked for so long, updating each other with what happened to her stories and as mine. I already gave her a gist of the adventures I've had (more of dramas)... it was good to see a familiar face and knowing that person wouldn't judge you at all. It was my first time to meet her flatmates. Ate Weng and Kuya Ray were also filipinos. I quickly warmed up to the them, as they to me, and we all ended up chatting.

As always, Ate Dez and I would usually camp out in the living room and talk until the wee hours of the morning, i.e. 4 am. Then wake up the following day, eat and then talk again. That was the cycle. But as I write this now, I actually miss them too. 

One day Ate Dez and I went to the London Eye. I haven't really been up there ever despite my visiting London for over 3 times now. I've never really desired to get on it anyway. We took photos around and met up with her friend Ate Roselle. It spontaneously became a girls night out without the booze. Instead of having drinks, we ended up with some yummy ice cream until midnight. We people watched and also talked about travel, love and how to know if a man is not into you and all that jazz. I learned a lot of things from Ate Roselle, which was good, at least now I think I've expanded my knowledge on the idea that Men are really from Mars.

I made sure that we visited Kuya Cyril and family who lived in Aylesbury. Ate Dez took the day off from work and we travelled by train. It took us 2 hours to get there but the ride was filled with our unending conversations so it was all good. We got there and all we did the whole day and evening was to eat. Oh yes, that's the Filipino way. hahaha. I was so BONDAT. what does that mean? Bloating and full because of overeating. Ate Linette, Kuya Cy's wife, just gave birth to their third son who apparently would be my grandson. It was really hilarious when Ate Linette left the baby to us because she had to collect her eldest son from school. After a few seconds of her walking out the door, the baby started crying. So imagine me and Ate Dez looking lost and trying our hardest to make faces and make him smile. Man, ain't easy to be a Mom, that's for sure! 

Catching up with Alf and Darko

with Alf
Last time I saw Alf and Darko was when they accompanied me as I left Hammersmith Station. And it seemed to be like it was just yesterday when Alf and I embarked on the Morocco adventure. Oh boy! yes, that was definitely an adventure! 

I met up with Alf at the London Bridge Station. It was so good seeing her again. I felt like there was so much to catch up on. She was my lifeline on the phone whenever I felt distraught sometime in the Europe leg. So far, she knew everything and even the deepest secrets. I was so glad to be talking to in person that night instead of just on the phone.

We walked our way to a Thai fast food place with yummy food. We chatted for almost 3 hours and updated each other. Oh yes, there were a lot of laughs about what happened for the past months since we last saw each other. As usual, the girls giggling. 

We met up with Darko later on. It was hilarious when we couldn't find him when Alf instructed him to go to London bridge. We were both waiting at Tower Bridge instead. I was just laughing while listening to the two of them talking on the phone. Well, to add up, I was shouting "Darko!" as I approached Tower Bridge. oops. wrong bridge. 

We lingered for a while by the river and found a bench. I also updated Darko of what was happening to me. After that we took some photos and said our goodbyes as they saw me off at Bus Stop 40.

Catching up @ Eastbourne

Mum, Johnny, Cath and me
I arrived at Hampden Park Train station earlier than scheduled. I hang out for a while at the new "Station Cafe", painted light blue, which was a few stores away from the railway. I ended up chatting with the new owner who was from Pakistan. He was a young lad at the age of 25, starting up his own business and hoping that it would work out. 
I walked back to the train station and found Mum around the corner, confused with the train schedules. I hugged her. It was so good to be back. It was again a strange feeling for me to be back again. Another confirmation that my Europe Leg was over.

I stayed at Mum's place for 5 days, catching up and just chilling out. I remember she'd always smile and laugh whenever I'd say "Let's Just Chill". There were days when we would walk Sky, who seemed to be more feisty than before. It was becoming more of a challenge taking her to the park. 

On the Saturday, I asked Mum if it was possible to visit Beachy Head. It is known to be the highest chalk sea cliff in Britain. It's name originated from the evolution of the French word "beau chef" meaning beautiful headland. There was a reason why I chose to explore that particular place in the Sussex Coast. Beachy Head has been known all over as the "Suicide Point", where some people would come from afar just to jump off the cliff and kiss death. I was so curious how it looked and if it was true that there was an imaginary vortex magnetizing certain people to jump. I'd say it would depend what state of mind you're in when you walk the cliffs. 

It was my first time to meet Johnny that day, Cathy's boyfriend. Sky was silent at the back as Cathy drove our way to Beachy Head. The skies were blue and it was a lovely day to go out for a walk. As soon as we arrived at the parking lot, Sky was already fidgety, excited for the walk. She had to be on a leash because it's been said that even dogs would run to their demise on that cliff. A few hiking groups were already ready for the walk though I wasn't really sure why they were all geared up. For me it looked like just a simple walk. 

Johnny pointed one of the vantage points. I followed and took a few photos. The views of the English channel were really stunning. The chalk cliffs were such a great contract to the dark blue sea. Mum wasn't really happy that Johnny and I were walking to the edges. But I've never really been afraid of heights, so I didn't give a fuss about it. As we walked further, I noticed a restricted area. Mum pointed out that it was the suicide edge of the place. I was about to go over the rope when I was told off. So we walked further until we decided it was time to have a beer. On our way back I looked at Mum asking if I could go over the ropes, then I looked at Cath for backup..until I was allowed. There were a few tombstones around, in memory of the lost souls who decided to end it all there.

I found it really cute attending Sunday service, sitting at the same pew, second one at the back set of rows. Her usual Church friends were all at the same position beside me, all ladies. Mum invited me to do the offertory with her.  I bought some cards from the Church and had morning tea after the service. 

On the afternoon of my last day Mum and I visited Dave, her eldest son. He was staying in a home just 2 bus rides away from Mum's place. I took my guitar with me coz I promised that I'd play him some songs. It was a good walk through Hampden Park to the bus stop. Mum and I did our brisk walk though she did find my stride too fast for her. Dave was in a good mood when we arrived. I met a few of the staff and we were told that he had an attack that morning. But he was looking fine and happy when we saw him. Mum introduced me and he held my hand for quite some time while staring at me. We went to his room and I found out that each of them had their own theme. He had his one decorated with army camouflage designs. His dresser had postcards glued to the doors, all them from Ate Jojo and John. Later on I played him a few songs. He listened and watched my hands strum the strings. It was so cute when Mum danced with him while I played Jason Mraz's song "I'm Yours".
Cathy ordered Chinese (from Eastbourne) for my farewell dinner. We were laughing all through out. It was just hilarious how Mum and Cathy had the typical British sarcastic sense of humor while Johnny and I would just eat away. Mum wasn't really into eating that much. After dinner, we had a box of chocolates and also the fortune cookies from the Chinese resto. We were all laughing because it seemed to coincide with our current states. 

The following morning I bid Mum goodbye and gave her a hug. I collected my guitar and other stuff that I left behind 3 months ago and hopped on the train bound for London. 

On my last week in Europe, there were 3 options. The top 1 was Ireland. Second in rank was Malta and last was Italy. It took me days to decide. And after a few suggestions from family, I made my final decision.

I chose to spend my last week in Rome, Italy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment