Friday, August 16, 2013

Hangin' in Vienna

I woke up around 10 am the following day. The guy who arrived late was already up, watching a movie on his computer. The shower was for both male and female, I was used to that since I’ve arrived in Europe. But what I detest was when I got out (of course all clothed), brushed my teeth then noticed a middle-eastern guy staring at me just a few steps away. I looked at him, tried to work out what his problem was but got quickly annoyed when he just stared at me. As rude as I can be I asked what he wanted..it took him a few seconds to figure something out and walk away. It was only after a while that I realized I was the only girl in the hostel. Duh. I was glad later on that there were a few girls who checked in. That made me feel more safe.
I went out and explored the streets in the heat of the day. Summer was setting in and I was feeling it in the hot air besides the scorching rays of the sun. I explored the markets near the museums. I think I might have been walking for 3 hours already. My energy levels were so low so I found a tree and slept for an hour as tourists passed by. 

One of the things I liked about Vienna was the feeling that it wasn’t packed with tourists though, unlike Prague. There was something elegant about Vienna too, I couldn’t explain it. Also, I enjoyed myself when I found alleys and streets that were really quiet. Bumping into 3 or 4 people was something usual. Later on, I found out that tourists didn’t really stay that long in Vienna due to the expensive prices around the city. Fair enough. But then, Vienna has been in one of the best places to live in. 

I was scheduled to meet up Luki at the museum around 3 pm. He told me to look for someone wearing blue shoes. That was really easy, so the moment I got out of the museum, I easily identified him. 

Luki and his friend Gerold were originally from
Austria, and are more into the arts and theatre. Amanda met Luki when she was studying French in Paris, from there, they became good friends. We crossed the streets and decided to have coffee. That was their welcome for me. It was really sweet.

We sat right beside the fountain in front of Karlsplatz, where the reflections of the cathedral caught each bystander. They asked a lot about my background and what I’ve been experiencing in my travels, the people I’ve met and my opinions. It was a really good exchange and I liked the conversations we had. We watched people pass by and find their favourite spot in front of the fountain. A group of locals were beside us, playing a board game. 

They had a part to go to so we said our goodbyes around 5. I hugged and thanked them for meeting me up. Luki wrote me some places which were good to check out. I told him I’d explore it soon enough.

I decided to go back to the hostel and rest up. I talked to the front desk and requested for another night in the hostel coz I haven’t planned the next destination nor the accommodation. I was glad that I was able to book the same bed in the same room, so I didn’t have to repack again.

No comments:

Post a Comment