Thursday, August 29, 2013

Explorin' Lake Bohinj & Hikin' Vogel

I woke up early the following morning. It was still quiet around the hostel, the young ones were still drooling over their hangover most probably.

I chose to explore Lake Bohinj and perhaps hike one of the mountain ranges. I walked up the hill and waited for the 7:15 am bus. The bus ride was along the rolling hills to the next village. I definitely enjoyed the view of the different houses and watching the people wake up to their daily routine. There were so many churches that I saw along the way, which made me want to jump off the bus and take photos off. Most especially those which distinctly stood in the middle of a green field.

I could still smell the morning mist as I got off the bus. The driver dropped me off right beside the lake. The quaint bridge beside the church was quietly still beside the trickling water of the lake. The green moss that stuck to the rocks added up to the drama of the silence. I loved it. There, which seemed the kinloch, was the Julian alps. Triglav was looming over the valley as the clouds slowly covered its peaks. I was definitely up for a hike, but definitely not somewhere that high.

I saw an area where dingeys were tied to. I stood at the edge and took some photos. A girl was silently
watching me from the corner who I ended up chatting with, asking bout the hiking trails around. Apparently they were walking for 8-9 hours the day before, checking out the different fauna. I said thank you for the tips and found my way to the information centre. I gathered some maps and started to walk to the gondola area. I decided I was going up the Vogel mountain range, which is converted to a ski range during winter.

The walk to the start of the trek was fairly flat. The path followed the lake, passing by different hotels and hostels which seemed to be so busy and packed. There was a physical training camp too that looked so interesting. I was tempted to hitch hike but thought the walk would be a good warm up for me, so I opted to walk the distance. I believe it took me an hour before I got to the start of the hike.

I decided to save up energy and take the gondola to the first level and do some hikes from that point. I lined up and found a lot of the locals with kids and even dogs hyped up by the days walk. I was still glad that it was early in the morning as I was trying to beat the crowds and perhaps have some quiet moments up the mountain.

As I got up there, I met 2 girls on the same path. Triin was from Estonia and Cecilia was from Hong Kong. We were walking down a steep path, finding our way to an old farm where they offered goat milk. It was quite difficult coz I do remember it seemed to be an 80 degree incline there with loose rocks. With my accident last year, falling was something that always scared me now adays. So us girls just took our time, taking one step, slowly but surely. They've been traveling together

By the time we got to the shed, there was not a soul in sight. The wind trailed behind us and the flag of Slovenia swayed along. I yelled out and even rang the bell, but to no avail. The views were pretty stunning though. Beside the cow bell was what for me seemed to be a walking stick, etched from a rough but good enough bark of a tree. I chose to have it and hike up with it. I didn't take my walking stick with me that's why. It always makes a difference to be honest.

By the time we got back up that incline, we were puffing and puffing, thighs burning but I felt good. I was missing the hikes, geez, after so long. I felt like my body got back to the sluggishness when I stopped hiking. Canada offered a lot of the hikes, and I big time missed it.

Triglav, highes point in the Julian alps
The girls and I continued on to the next level and decided to take the path up to Vogel. the sun was starting to get intense and it was time for sunscreen. Along the way we were sharing travel stories and stuff about hiking techniques.

As we got up to higher grounds (i find it weird saying that), we noticed a cross perched up high on a certain altitude. there seems to be always something around Europe, most especially the Eastern side, that crosses are put up.

The girls decided to have their lunch at the nearby hut (the one and only), and as for me, I opted to sit
outside with my fruits and just adore the vistas. A sheep decided to be friendly, I thought at first, but then realized he was going on for the kill...i.e., my fruits and my bag. HUWAT DA?!?!?!? anyway, it was a struggle until a couple helped me. It sort of looked absurd that I was struggling against a sheep, but really, I've never thought I'd see one so aggressive. oh boy!

I joined the girls later on and decided to order a little bit of patte. It was hilarious watching Triin chase away the next herd of sheep who were up to no good.... aiming for our plates. She was having fun with it for sure. We laughed, and I found the scene really cute. It looked more local than just being a tourist amidst the crowd. 

We decided to walk up the cross after lunch. I was glad they wanted to join in before they headed back to their place. I was still up for a hike so I was opted to be left behind. There was a rope that enabled people to ring the bell. I made a wish as I pulled it. The girls took turns too. The sound of the bell rang out loud to the ranges and I wished my wish would be hear out loud by the heavens. We took some photos before they left and we exchanged details coz they were also bound for Bohinj that afternoon.

I continued on to the higher altitude going up Vogel. There in the distance Triglav was slowly showing its peaks and shape. It seemed to be snow but I was sure it must have been a different type of rock. I lingered for a while and found the loose rocks a little bit daunting at that point. I walked down and found myself an edge where a tree rooted out from the rocks. There seems to be always something bout edges, cliffhangers..... I still haven't really worked out why It always called out to me. Maybe some day.

The bus stop was closer this time, so I didn't have to walk for another hour to the center. The oldies from the hikes were waiting as well. I just listened to the conversations. Sometimes I have this knack by giving the impression I don't speak English at all.

I got back in Lake Bled around 4 pm just enough time for me to be pumped up for a swim. I found the same spot where Nick and I went for a swim. There I rested my muscles and allowed the heat of the sun to touch my skin. I was loving the lake and the water. I listened to the kids laugh as they jumped off, I joined in as well.

That night, I joined in the couple from Turkey for a few beers by the lake. We finished 3 cans each and by that time the girl was already drunk I figured. The guy was very sensible to talk to. And I eventually learned the culture, practice and how they met each other. Everything was secret, so that's why I'm not mentioning the names on this blog. I'll leave them to their privacy.

Around midnight there was a group of Scottish and Irish boys and girls who quickly stripped off, butt naked, jumped into the water. The Turkey couple joined in but with their undies. I was the watch out for the night. I wasn't really up for the shivers of the water. It was hilarious when they were shouting out loud...about sizes and stuff.

By 1 am, we were all up for a shut eye...We rushed back to the hostel which was just across the road. A hot shower and I snoozed off. The love birds snuggled and warmed each other with smooches. I was already in dreamland by then.


No comments:

Post a Comment