Monday, July 29, 2013

Zakopane, Poland

The ride to Zakopane was a 2-hour journey. By the time we got outside of Krakow and views of the green rolling hills slowly appeared from the distance, I was smiling. I knew I made the right decision. I took a snooze, still feeling the lack of sleep creeping in. The landscapes slowly became dramatic even half an hour before we reached our destination. I couldn’t stop myself from smiling from ear to ear. The last time I’ve seen such beauty was back in Canada. And Zakopane would be the first place for me to hike in my Europe Leg. I was so much looking forward to it.

Zakopane is also located in the Southern part of Poland, at the foot of the well known Tatra mountains. It is also known as the winter capital, a big skiing part of Poland. During the summer months, it turns out to be a best place for mountaineering as well. 
I arrived in Zakopane around 6 pm. Good thing I wrote everything on a paper so I can easily show it to the people at the local bus stop. I said to the driver Jaszcurowka (read as “Yash-cho-roof-ka”), which I earlier researched what the correct pronounciation was. The guy pointed to a nearby shuttle. I got in and told the driver. A couple was in the front row and the girl was smiling at me. Wasn’t sure if she was a tourist or a local. I smiled back and stacked my bag on the second row. The shuttle zipped through town and I looked out the window looking at the different houses and the interesting designs. The driver said it only took 15 minutes, so I diligently timed it on my clock. By the time it counted 15 minutes, I was wondering where the stop was. The girl in the front row looked at me and said that was my stop. I smiled at her and said thank you so much. I quickly rushed down, paid my 3 Zloty’s and crossed the street.
Goodbye Lenin Hostel was the one I chose to stay in for the next 3 days. The description matched the place I wanted to be in… a hostel surrounded with a stream, trees, made out of a logs/wood and earlier, I checked if they had a guitar..and the answer was yes. Oh yes… that was certainly the place I’d like to be.
It was a little bit of a walk up a small angle, but I was puffing already with my backpack. That only confirmed the fact that I wasn’t fit anymore unlike when I was in Canada. I found 2 girls outside the hostel and I said hi. Later on I learned they were from Denmark. The girl who greeted me at the front desk was Amanda, who was from New York, with Asian and Polish blood, studied French in Paris and now studying Polish as well as German. I was really impressed. The owner of the hostel was Stan, a Polish guy soon to be married. He was really fit, a big mountaineer himself, he’s walked all of the hikes around the Zakopane region.
Amanda showed me to my room and I was glad to have a lower bunk bed. I wasn’t supposed to tell Mr.G that I finally decided to go to Zakopane, I was thinking of just sending a postcard as a surprise. But my excitement got a better of me, so decided to send a message and let them know that I was already in Zakopane. After checking in, I immediately borrowed the guitar, went over the window avoiding the other people in the hostel, and found me a wooden bench staring at the trees around. I missed my guitar, I missed music, I missed the serenity that I was having at that very moment… I realized I was more of a nature person that the architecture/history bound spirit. Although, I do admit that the history of a place does interest me a lot too, gives me more of an insight to explaining a country’s culture and locals’ personality.
As soon as I was settled in, I talked to Amanda and discussed my hiking options for the following day. I wanted to force a short hike that evening but my body was so tired with lack of sleep and I’ve learned my lesson never to do strenuous activities if body says no. I checked the weather forecast for the next 2 days just to find the thunderstorm icon staring back at me. However, Amanda and I were still feeling positive. She recommended Morsie Oko to me, which she hiked the day before, and said it was stunning. So I decided yup, that was my destination for the next day.
I had a quick shower and settled in my bed calling it an early night to be recharged enough. Mel arrived later that night, the first Kiwi I’ve met on the Europe leg. She was working in Edinburgh, Scotland before and now traveling around and planning to work for 2 weeks in Krakow. She was the chirpy and vibrant personality, and greeted us saying “Hi Roomies”. I knew that was it was going to be easy to get along with her.
The rest of the people in the hostel prepared dinner and I was stopping myself from cooking my 1-minute noodles too lazy to get up. But after a few minutes trying to sleep through my grumbling tummy, I gave in to the hunger. I got out of the room and found Amanda cooking her vegetarian dinner. She offered me some of her food but I was too shy to accept. I quickly cooked my noodles and socialized a little bit with the group. I guess the good thing about hostels like that, the atmosphere is homey, people are forced to mingle and everyone seems to be nice. I ate as quick as I could and quietly left the lounge and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment