Friday, July 19, 2013

My train hopping to Poland

When I planned my trip to Poland, I wasn't really sure if I should have been taking the night train, seeing it as the only option. But then with a lot of help with Mr.G I was able to sort things out quickly. 

So the route was, take the train to Ostrava (the third largest city in Czech and close to the Polish border) and quickly buy a ticket for Poland. From there catch a connection  to Katowice (pronounced Katowittz), a city in Southern Poland, and then from there catch a train to Krakow. I was so used to taking direct connections so I was a little bit nervous about the whole connection thing but most of all because the minutes in between were tight. It was in Katowice when I had to run to catch the train, and when I say run.. it meant RUN JOWE.. RUN!! (up the stairs to platform 4). 

The views were lovely as we got out of Prague. The landscapes were so colourful and the small villages we passed by were charming. It was really spacious when I was on the train to Ostrava. I did regret an extra 2 Euros for seat reservation. But I guess my last experience with my train ride from Hamburg to Berlin put me off and the last thing I wanted was to be sitting on the floor. 

The train bound for Katowice was half an hour late which was good coz I was able to catch my breath and put down my bag. By the time I got to my assigned cabin, there were already 3 people sitting comfortably speaking in a language I couldn't quite work out. Apparently they were from Norway. At first I was hating the thought of traveling all the way in a cabin with people who wouldn't talk to you, so I just kept quiet and tried to shut off the idea. Good thing they can speak English and we got talking. 

I forgot their names, but it was a couple and a girl who were in Czech to spread the Bible in a small village out of Ostrava. They were part of a Christian group from Norway and just completed their 2 week mission. Of course, it goes without saying that majority of the conversation was around the bible, faith and belief. 

Later on, a Polish guy joined us in the cabin. He spoke fluent English and was on his way to Warsaw. And being an atheist, he was more targeted than me. So again, the conversation was around Christianity and why he chose to go the other way. I just smiled and listened for a while. 

By the time the train stopped at Katowice, I immediately said my goodbyes and looked for the Peron (platform) for Krakow.

No comments:

Post a Comment