Monday, May 7, 2018

The morning before Intrepid Expedition (09 April '18)

I slept in on to compensate for the late night activities. I knew I had to have more sleep in preparation for the Intrepid meetup. I wanted to go to Fener and Balat but computing the remaining hours I decided to go to the Post Shop instead.

I went up for breakfast and chose the corner, multitasking while finishing up the postcards. I had a few more to write and I realized my hands were stiff. It was pretty cold and I was in a rush. I looked out the window and could see the top of Little AyaSofia from a distance. I still haven't visited the site. History states that this was built before the well known AyaSofya in Sultanahmet square. 

After breakfast I said goodbye to the cleaning lady. She always had a sweet smile. I think it was also because I was the only solo traveler in the hotel, that the more she felt compelled to look after me. Thinking about my previous travels, this has always been the case. Mothers seem to always have that endearment towards me. 

I went out of the hotel thinking the post office was close by. For some reason, the mini map I was looking at gave me the impression that there was a P sign somewhere around. I ended up finding one half an hour walk away compared to a 10 minute walk I initially thought it was. 

The walk was pretty interesting, going through the side of town where tourists didn't really bother to explore. The area I went for showed me the day to day activities of workers and families on a Monday morning. Just the way I like it when exploring. I passed by a small playground with Mothers pushing their kids on the swing. A few shops and interesting museums were along the way. One that actually caught my eyes was the Photography Mini Museum. But the Closed sign was still out, It was just 8:30 am when I passed by. 

The streets became busier as I approached the Post office. Garbage trucks were passing through the neighborhood and cars were getting impatient. I couldn't forget the curious looks of people as I passed by. I took everything in, appreciating the moment and opportunity to walk these streets and see it all. 

I entered the Post office and everyone looked at me. I asked if someone could speak English. I was directed to the last guy in the room. I was told he could speak English. Apparently.. not. lol. It was actually an interesting exchange. He just stamped my postcards....not with the actual "stamps". I was wondering if it was going to get to the people I sent it to. The next goal was to send a package to New Zealand. Yup, that one, I wasn't sure if we understood each other. After doing everything, he gave me my receipt, smiled and said, Thank You. Great, I thought. That was the only English word I got out of him. As of this writing, I've been told by a few of my friends that they received the postcards. Whew!

I rushed back to the hotel needing to pack-up. There was another morning mission I had to do. To pass by the Turkish Street Cafe and have tea, as I promised the guy the other day. It was a delightful morning sitting outside the cafe whilst talking to a few of the customers. As much as I wanted to stay, I had to leave. Baho hailed a cab for me and hugged me goodbye. We connected via Instagram. 

I was on my way to The Golden Horn Hotel to meetup with the group for Intrepid - Black Sea & Beyond. The next 8/9 days was going to be in the company with strangers. I hoped everyone would be cool. I didn't really have much expectations, with an Open Mind and an Open Heart, I jumped into the cab, already aware that I was running late. Eeek! not a good start for impressions!

No comments:

Post a Comment