Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Intrepid Day 1 (09-April) - Istanbul - The Meetup

The traffic was a nightmare. I checked my watch almost every minute, hoping a miracle would happen. I hate getting late most especially when it's a first meetup. The cab driver rang the hotel a couple of times, trying to figure out where abouts it was since there were 2 Golden Horn Hotels. I wonder (at that point in time) which one was better.

Canon80D-Blue Mosque
I must have arrived around 10 past 1 in the afternoon. I rushed through the lobby of the hotel and noticed 2 groups, 1 in the dining area (smaller group) and 1 in the sofa area (bigger group). For some reason I thought I was with the bigger group, brain wasn't working at that moment in time.

A guy approached me before I got to the hotel reception. A little bit taller than me and looked really young. He asked me if I was there for the Intrepid trip and if I was from the US. I answered yes and didn't bother answering the US Question, then told him I was late and I that I needed to go the group (pointing at the sofa area). He asked me if I was with the Black Sea and Beyond. I said yes. And that's when I realized I was looking at the wrong side of the hotel. He smiled, took my bag and introduced himself as Suleyman, our tour guide.

I joined the group pretty much embarrassed. Everyone was already there and it seemed like they already started. I sat at the end of the table and looked at the Intrepid bag in front of me. It included a few print outs and also Suleyman's calling card along with a breakdown of the potential weather for the next few days. One thing that I really liked in the bag was a keychain of an evil eye. More of a protection against evil. I quickly attached it to my backpack.

Canon80D-Inside of Suleymaniye Camii (Mosque)
Suleyman came back to the group and continued on with the orientation. It was good that it was a small bunch. Intimate and not too crowded. Just the way I like it. I knew the age range was exactly the one I'd be more comfortable in. It was really good that he organized copies of Turkish words which would be helpful for us to get by. I always believe that it is part of traveling to learn a few local words. I asked if he had a nickname, he said his friends called him Suley. As much as he looked really young, he had a certain level of maturity.. more of an old soul. Yet to be discovered through the trip.

After the orientation, Suley asked us to introduce ourselves to the group and also mention our expectations. Gai was the first one to say Hi to the group. She was traveling with both her daughter Fiona and Gavin, her son-in-law . It made me happy to learn that they were all from Sydney. We just quickly clicked and connected. Gav and Fi just got married 6 months prior to the travel and were still on honeymoon mode. Next were Jason and Maureen who were from the US, they've been dating for over a year already and were on their first overseas trip together. They were really cute together. Then of course, there was me. The solo traveler. I told them that I was originally supposed to go to Cuba but that got cancelled. So yeah, there I was, just a few weeks before the Intrepid trip... I decided to book it in and just go for it. Besides, Turkey was in my original Bucket list. I knew at that point in time, after meeting the group, I was meant to be there.

Canon80D-Zincirli Han
We started our exploration and walked through town. It gave us a good opportunity to bond with each other. We first walked towards the Sultanahment square. I was already so familiar with the area but this time around there were trucks unloading tulips and carpets of it getting laid in front of Hagia Sofia. It was really pretty with the sun out compared to how the surrounds looked the day before. Suley said that by the time we got back to Istanbul, the whole grounds would be filled with tulips.

The hippodrome was another interesting site that we visited, which mainly served as the area for the chariot racing back in the Byzantine time. It was a little bit overwhelming to imagine we were standing on a massive sports arena of horses. Hippo meaning "Horses"and Dromos for "Way", of course in Greek language.

As we all knew, the Blue Mosque was closed so we only stayed for a short while, took photos and also Suley gave us a run through of the history. It was back in Sultan Ahmet I when this amazing architecture was built. Locals would usually call it Sultan Ahmet Camii (Mosque) instead of the blue mosque. The latter being more of a descriptive title because of the blue tiles inside. I was so much looking forward to see those tiles, but I wasn't lucky this time. Opening would be 15th of May. The architecture encompassed the Ottoman time, a mix of Islamic and Christian design (from Hagia Sophia). Still a functioning mosque, I could see a lot of men washing their feet after saying their prayers.

Canon80D-Views from Suleymaniye Camii over the Golden Horn & Bhosporus
We then walked through the Grand Bazaar which was actually different from what I expected. Having been to the Bazaar in Marrakech, Morocco, I was more of picturing a chaotic scene of stalls with people bartering with the storekeeper. But what we saw was a very much organised and pathways to multiple stalls, with bright lights and a lovely clean setup.

We took a turn to a corridor and found ourselves in what's called Zincirli Han. A lovely courtyard, old style, intimate and for me.. stunning. It looked authentic and seemed to have held a lot of history for shop owners. We all went up the steep stairs and took a few photos. It was 2 levels, with the upper floor being home to workshops and other offices.

We then walked further and went through the University sides. The cobbled streets took to another well known spot in Istanbul. Suleymaniye mosque. The architecture was amazing with the domes but moreso, I loved the size and space that the prayer area offered. It had a certain energy that seemed to invite one to kneel down towards Mecca. It was the first mosque I've entered since coming to Istanbul. I used my own scarf as a hijab and took off my shoes. Suley asked us to sit down for a while so he could give us a background of the history. This mosque was designed by the well known Architect Sinan under Suleyman the Magnificent during the Ottoman Reign over Turkey. It had a blended design of Islamic and Byzantine. After taking a few photos, a few volunteers approached us and shared leaflets about Islam and a few more interesting facts about the history and practice. The courtyard outside offered stunning views of the Golden Horn and Bhosporus Strait.

S6shot-No smoking
Corlulu Ali
Pasha Madrasah
We then continue on to the Spice Bazaar. Another must to check out in Istanbul. The colors were stunning through the corridors. Then Suley took us to Corlulu Ali Pasha Madrasah, a very local where people go to have tea and obviously, shisha. It was ironic to see a sign on the wall that said "No Smoking". And of course, I couldn't help but to take a photo of smoke puffing out of these gentlemen with the the no smoking sign in the background. I've tried both before, i.e. shisha and smoking a cigarette. Neither really did any good to my lungs.

After all of the walking, we went back to the hotel to have a quick rest. Fi's back was hurting so they decided to stay in for the night. Mau, Jason, Suley and I went out to a local kebab shop and had a yummy dinner.

The following day was going to be the real start of the adventure. I closed my eyes a little bit cold (heater wasn't working), tired but filled with excitement.










No comments:

Post a Comment