Monday, May 26, 2014

What about Mungo National Park


The moment I saw the photos back in 2013, I knew for a fact I'd be stepping on that red soil soon. The first time I got to hear about Mungo National Park was in December 2013. It was scheduled to be my birthday road trip adventure in March 2014 but I had to cancel and put in the back burner until it was "right".

The Mungo National Park is located in the south-west area of New South Wales Region, Australia, known to be part of the World Heritage Site of the Willandra Lakes. It has been dated to be 35-40,000 years worth of history hidden below the layers of soil, where mixtures of times are identified by the old layer called GolGol, then Mungo then Zanci, being the latest soil formation.

The whole stretch of land in that area was once part of several lakes, which was called the Willandra Lake System. The aboriginals as well as the animals all lived in harmony and thrived off the abundance of what the land and body of water could offer. Fishing, hunting and farming was part of their daily survival.

Through the years, due to the change of climate, temperatures increased and later on dried the lake system. What we now see is a vast land of drained water, covered with the mixture of soil, sand dunes and dry bushes. However, it still holds the history of ancestors, of how they once lived and survived on that land. The highly visited section is the Wall of China, named after the Chinese laborers who worked on the station back in 1861. Pillars and gullies can be seen through the stretch of 40 kilometers, and on the other side of the wall are amazing sand dunes.

Mungo National Park is also the home of the known "Mungo Man and Woman", both of which were discovered in different areas of the National park, but in close proximity to the Wall of China. Mungo Man was noted to be the oldest discovered to be cremated. Interestingly enough, ancestors already followed such burial ceremonies.

And so I booked my trip to Mungo. After I finished my contract in Melbourne, I headed off to the NSW region, where the outback called out to me... where I knew I'd be mesmerized by sunsets on the red soil... where I knew I'd be one again with nature. It's been a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment